Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: @Brown        (Topic#27788)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
Re: @Brown
02-11-24 05:56 PM - Post#363131    
    In response to SomeGuy

Yes. I was going to type out a reply, but this is my point. Larson leaving isn't a positive, but it is hardly the tipping point. It's not even worthy to mention as a key reason to have issues with the coach. There isn't a single NCAA team in any sport, men or women's, that doesn't have players who don't get the time they think they should, who have personal issues, who don't have enough time to study, who aren't developing on the right way, or who just don't gel with a coach. On my Penn team, it was probably 60/40 of people who felt a full fit on all cylinders. So Larson in the singular is just a footnote. The overall quality of the roster and losing Dingle and Martz are bigger issues.

I'm just tired of reading ridiculous nit-picking. If you want the coach fired, it is simple enough to find real issues. Championships, wins/losses, recruiting, and (somewhat) retention. Larson is one data point in a thousand and is not the tipping point in any way.

One thing that seems hard to point at about Donahue is whether he runs a clean program, has real student-athletes, develops a good team culture, and keeps it organized operationally. I haven't heard anything to the contrary, at least.

Can you imagine going to the Penn administration asking for Donahue to be fired because Larson is the tipping point of a badly run program? We don't even have evidence that this isn't just a run-of-the-mill bad fit between student and situation. We don't have any evidence that Larson would have been impactful. I didn't lose a wink at the time when he transferred, and I still don't.

• SomeGuy Said:
In the micro sense, I have trouble with the concept of culpability here in general. Not every player develops, for lots of reasons that may or may not have to do with the staff. Larson was an interesting player, but a tweener in some ways. Guard skills from when he was younger, but center height. Lots that could go right in terms of fit and development, but also lots that could go wrong. I kind of view this stuff in percentage terms — you get a player at larson’s level in the recruiting rankings/offers, you get say a 70% chance it works out. Sometimes you get the 30%.

So like penndemonium, I have trouble with the concept that Larson’s transfer is somehow the ultimate indicator that the coach stinks. That said, my problem is just with (I think) overstating the importance of Larson leaving. The overall record is ultimately what I feel comfortable going on, because after 9 years it smooths out the noise of what may be one off situations. And the overall record says Steve isn’t nearly as bad as he is sometimes described. But the overall record also says that Steve hasn’t been good enough.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
Re: @Brown
02-11-24 05:59 PM - Post#363132    
    In response to SomeGuy

That is my other point. Badly aimed vitriol is self-defeating. Plenty of good reasons to be dissatisfied. Don't pound the drum for weak reasons.

• SomeGuy Said:
Agree with almost all of this. While I quibble with a lot of what is said here, my quibbles are with the level of the vitriol and hyperbole. In the end, the results are the results, and at this point I don’t think they’re good enough, either. Heck, I’m quite confident Steve himself doesn’t think the results are good enough.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
02-12-24 12:35 PM - Post#363150    
    In response to Penndemonium

No one said Larson is a tipping point. Just another in a long line. I’m sorry that you’re so bothered by my “vitriol”. I am happy to go back to not commenting at all. It fits right in line with where this program is headed. Apathy is here.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-12-24 11:08 PM - Post#363160    
    In response to Quakers03

For the record, you did appear to me to reference Larson’s transfer as “the final blow” to men’s basketball a little ways up in the thread. I may have misunderstood, but that is how it read, at least to me. So that’s where I got the “tipping point” impression.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-13-24 09:49 PM - Post#363180    
    In response to Quakers03

May be my old guy fashion sense, but to me the ultimate indictment of the program is the short sleeved hoodies.

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.165 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:09 AM