Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Cornell        (Topic#27805)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
02-06-24 10:55 AM - Post#362836    

This Saturday, Yale ends its first circuit through the league with Cornell at home. This one really is a clash of styles, I think. Cornell finds success when they can get out in transition, and they're very good at finding opportunities to do so, including off of missed shots. When taken with their 5-out offense, this explains why they're first in the country in 2P% despite having no real size. Forcing them into a half-court game won't ruin them on offense, though, since they have five threats on the floor at all times.

The other end is where the clash of styles really comes into play. Cornell, it seems, simply cannot guard size in the half court. Like, at all. They have a bottom-30 d2P%, and they've struggled to guard any and all size they've gone up against in conference (including big slashing 4 men like Neskovic and Okpara). They compensate by forcing turnovers on almost 20% of opponents' possessions.

Yale really doesn't seem like a good matchup for Cornell on paper. They have legitimate size at 5, a slashing 4 who's excellent in the post, they play really slowly, make a lot of shots, and turn the ball over at the 27th-lowest rate in the country. When you add to that that Cornell is really quite bad on the defensive boards, things start to look dire.

But then again, you could've said a lot of those things about Princeton, to say nothing of the fact that it's really tiring to play for 40 minutes against aggressive defense like Cornell plays. This is a game where you're really glad it's not on the tail end of a back to back.

I'd expect Yale to win if they play well, but Cornell is more than capable of kicking the door down if a team leaves it open. It'll require a lot of discipline from the Bulldogs.

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
02-06-24 07:22 PM - Post#362850    
    In response to iogyhufi

hopefully the house of payne will give us another -15 margin bc we might need it

james 
Masters Student

02-07-24 06:57 AM - Post#362860    
    In response to james

i hope wolf is a help here against pressure. theoretically having 5 ball handlers on the floor should be.

conversely i would expect cornell to try to trap him and get underneath his handle various ways.
step 1 us to stay out of foul trouble.
step 2 is to avoid or overcome said traps
his advantage he has is seeing over it so pushing the ball through him shld be helpful to all.

its a good point on getting worn down. if i remember correctly thats mind of what happened in ithaca last year when it came unglued in 2nd half.
hopefully one week of dedicated preparation + wolf+ cutting/spacing help us exploit

mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
Re: Cornell
02-08-24 04:22 PM - Post#362885    
    In response to iogyhufi

• iogyhufi Said:
This Saturday, Yale ends its first circuit through the league with Cornell at home. This one really is a clash of styles, I think. Cornell finds success when they can get out in transition, and they're very good at finding opportunities to do so, including off of missed shots. When taken with their 5-out offense, this explains why they're first in the country in 2P% despite having no real size. Forcing them into a half-court game won't ruin them on offense, though, since they have five threats on the floor at all times.

The other end is where the clash of styles really comes into play. Cornell, it seems, simply cannot guard size in the half court. Like, at all. They have a bottom-30 d2P%, and they've struggled to guard any and all size they've gone up against in conference (including big slashing 4 men like Neskovic and Okpara). They compensate by forcing turnovers on almost 20% of opponents' possessions.

Yale really doesn't seem like a good matchup for Cornell on paper. They have legitimate size at 5, a slashing 4 who's excellent in the post, they play really slowly, make a lot of shots, and turn the ball over at the 27th-lowest rate in the country. When you add to that that Cornell is really quite bad on the defensive boards, things start to look dire.

But then again, you could've said a lot of those things about Princeton, to say nothing of the fact that it's really tiring to play for 40 minutes against aggressive defense like Cornell plays. This is a game where you're really glad it's not on the tail end of a back to back.

I'd expect Yale to win if they play well, but Cornell is more than capable of kicking the door down if a team leaves it open. It'll require a lot of discipline from the Bulldogs.

As a Cornell fan, it is hard to disagree with this analysis. The Big Red's worst two losses last year -- a year in which Cornell played national semi-finalist Miami -- was at Yale and to Yale in the ILT. While Cornell has improved their 2pt defense from putrid (bottom 10) to horrid (bottom 30), Yale is a match-up nightmare for my guys

Cornell hasn't won in New Haven in over a decade and I don't see that changing unless Yale turns in a clunker like Weber St. or Fairfield.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Re: Cornell
02-10-24 03:27 PM - Post#362958    
    In response to mountainred

Man, the officiating in this game is just friggin' terrible. But Yale isn't helping its own cause, and Cornell is hitting their jumpers and taking advantage of their opportunities. Yale needs to clean things up a lot.

james 
Masters Student

02-10-24 03:53 PM - Post#362964    
    In response to iogyhufi

gross
call the hook

james 
Masters Student

02-10-24 04:36 PM - Post#362973    
    In response to james

tough to defend when they hit the 3 ball and we dont. have us on skates

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-10-24 05:08 PM - Post#362982    
    In response to james

Jeepers creepers, what a game. Cornell couldn't miss for a large portion of the game, and Yale had nothing going from three. What a gutsy win. But boy had Yale better clean things up before any and all rematches.

Cornell's offense is legit. Very impressed by Manon and the guards especially.

Solo first in the league!

james 
Masters Student

02-10-24 05:18 PM - Post#362983    
    In response to iogyhufi

cornell is v tough to defend. but we have showed some onions at home.
now need to do it on the road
but cornell is well engineered for the playoffs. will wear guys out

james 
Masters Student

02-10-24 05:24 PM - Post#362984    
    In response to james

my greatest fear was wolf foul probs.
we got wolf and knowling actually w issues.
the calls on wolf on the perimeter were really vexing.
the good news is he moves his feet so well for his size that they were ticky tack nonsense and not hand or feet checks.
i think thats encouraging given how he has to defend against cornell and princeton.
knowling was a defensive victim of a good player who was on fire and simply hard to defend.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-10-24 05:45 PM - Post#362985    
    In response to james

Having a 50% ORB% while limiting Cornell to just two ORBs is the one area of the game I think Cornell could possibly do better at in a rematch - on O and D they were pretty much firing on all cylinders. (Obviously their interior D was poor, but that's kind of just who they are at this point, and they did very well to harass Knowling and Wolf.) Cornell is bad on the boards but that was exceptionally poor.

Agreed on Manon - he's gotta be all-Ivy 1st team this year.

james 
Masters Student

02-11-24 11:23 AM - Post#363092    
    In response to iogyhufi

i might forget what its fully like to be young and taking the bus to the back to backs

but cornell is well positioned given its style and the dreaded ithaca/harlem swing

the good news is we have them on a friday. but columbia is growing up too

penn/princeton got harder bc penn is better w the guard coming back.
will be a tough grind.

i do think cornell is well positioned in the playoff bc of its style and neither yale nor princeton plays a deep bench.
if you rely on the 3 ball too much. even tougher

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-11-24 11:51 AM - Post#363101    
    In response to james

These next two weekends will separate the men from the boys, so to speak. 3-1 would almost certainly sew up the 1 seed, 1-3 would almost certainly pit the 1 seed out of reach. The NY B2B is my biggest concern - Columbia is way too good to take lightly, and tired legs after a long, late bus ride might struggle to keep Columbia's dynamic backcourt tamped down. (The Ps are what they are; Yale has the one they absolutely have to have first while they're fresh, the game at Jadwin is really just upside from a standings perspective.)

I really would like to have the 1 seed this year, in no small part because I want no part of Cornell in the first round. Even if you win, that's an exhausting game to have to come back from and play the next day.

james 
Masters Student

02-11-24 12:00 PM - Post#363104    
    In response to iogyhufi

after further review maybe you want cornell on a saturday. playing
on friday they can beat you 2x in one weekend.

very hopeful the crowd support at columbia for that game and any prospective playoff will reflect the enthusiam of the last few weekends. we used to have huge support there in the early 2000s when the jones bros faced off.

clearly james is touched by the crowd. that photo of him practically crowd surfing is iconic. and brings back fond memories of 2001-2
josh hill rip

go bulldogs

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-11-24 05:03 PM - Post#363127    
    In response to james

I'm blown away by the crowds they've gotten recently. I was at the Princeton game, and it was just awesome seeing people packed in the SRO spots on the rail. The loudest I've ever heard JLA was in 2021, when Azar was fouled on the buzzer-beating 3 he banked in with Yale down 4 to Harvard (before the refs iced him), but the Princeton game had some close-second moments.

james 
Masters Student

02-11-24 05:33 PM - Post#363128    
    In response to iogyhufi

they remind me of times gone by before all the other changes in the world in terms of entertainment options.

as a former teammate said to me..." i take my sons to most of the games. we get great seats. and its such a high quality product."

yet for some reason attendance was seemingly worse as the team and league trended up (relatively)over 25 yrs.

i would have said the lack of a local presence was so confusing amd frustrating but i think that could be improving. watching the sears, onis, atkinsons and wolfs (etc etc) against this competition is so great in that historic gym. hopefully we saw an inflection point that sustains.

anyway dont think it was all lost on james. hence his reaction.
now we get to face the flip side the next two weekends.

i think the ILT at columbia will be awesome.

james 
Masters Student

02-11-24 05:39 PM - Post#363129    
    In response to james

lastly i see some comments on x from local husky fans abt wolf and the fun of games in payne whitney.
of course these guys want hurley to acquire wolf in the free agent NIL mkt.
but thats a topic for another day

james 
Masters Student

02-11-24 05:49 PM - Post#363130    
    In response to james

i lied.
i am actually pretty concerned abt NIL for the best players in this league.
if you have true nba/euroleague potential which by my estimation would include-wolf, lee, pierce and maybe a few others who are less well known at this point-its worthy of consideration.
the $s are large and the ROI is at least debatable.
i dont think the alumni bases or league gets it yet.

unlike some of the other team fanatics on here i actually cheer for this league and would hate the talent ceiling to be undermined.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-11-24 06:44 PM - Post#363136    
    In response to james

Agreed, although I think the example of the League players who have gone before might dissuade them. There aren't that many spots in the NBA and there are a lot lot lot of highly talented players. Just getting a chance to prove yourself in the NBA is hard enough. My hope is that the degree would be valuable enough that, so long as the IL manages to put together some semblance of an NIL presence, we could manage to keep our top players around.

On a semi-related note, Danny Wolf is on pace to break Evan Boudreaux's record for most double-doubles in a single conference season.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.051 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:27 PM