Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Pennsylvania        (Topic#27818)
gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Pennsylvania
02-10-24 09:04 PM - Post#363022    
    In response to SRP

Pierce and Lee were their POY-caliber selves. Martini started like 1-7 then finished 4-6 (all threes!). And don't look now but Blake Peters is shooting 41% in Ivy play - regressing to the mean in a positive way.

I also noticed that Lee is racking up a ton of rebounds of late. With Pierce and Martini boxing out or pulled away from the basket, he's had to step up on the boards. Not surprisingly, he's succeeded with flying colors.

Bryan 
Junior

Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
02-11-24 12:32 PM - Post#363108    
    In response to SRP

I did not see Deven Austin on the Princeton bench. Did I just miss him? Any updates on his status? It looked like Jackson Hicke had no wrap on his arm. Anyone know if he's practicing now? Any recent projected return date?

While Jacob Huggins only played 3 minutes I thought he set a couple of very effective picks to free up shooters at a time when Princeton's offense had bogged down. I expected him to play more after that.

LocalTiger 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-15-17
02-11-24 12:52 PM - Post#363109    
    In response to Bryan

I did not see Austin either. Wonder if he took
the semester off if he is not playing.

It would be goofd to get Hicke back.
Henderson does not seem to trust Huggins
with second half minutes yet.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pennsylvania
02-11-24 01:46 PM - Post#363113    
    In response to LocalTiger

Mitch said in the postgame that Deven is not playing this year. Said he's recovering fine but ruled out a return this season. People say it takes at least a full year to be 100% after ACL surgery and it seems like that's the case here.

Getting Austin back next season will be a HUGE boost. He'll immediately be our best perimeter defender, someone who can contain drives by speedy guards/wings. He's also a great cutter and solid catch-and-shoot guy.

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
02-11-24 10:29 PM - Post#363139    
    In response to gokinsmen

Hugely needed to replace Allocco's defense in the starting lineup. (And Davis can replace the offense, although that would bump Peters out of the starting lineup. Not sure Lee-Davis-Peters works defensively.)

Bigger Q is who replaces Martini - is Byriel capable of it? If not, we don't really have a 5-out option, which is going to make things considerably harder. (I do think very small lineups with Pierce at 5 would work for crunch time against most opponents, but probably not a primary option.)

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pennsylvania
02-12-24 09:12 PM - Post#363158    
    In response to whitakk

I think Huggins will probably start at center - he's long, athletic, and can play the Kellman role (dunking and playing physical defense). Love Peters but Davis has gotta start - we need two ballhandlers on the floor to break presses.

It's gonna be a more crowded paint with fewer easy layups, but I also expect more putbacks, dish-offs for dunks and Dalen Davis midrange jumpers (his pullup J is money). Pierce will have to shoot more 3s as well.

The team will have to play differently next season for sure. But hey, they had to play differently this season too.

jeromelh 
Junior

Reg: 03-30-17
02-13-24 06:52 AM - Post#363162    
    In response to gokinsmen

You may be correct about Huggins. Go back to this past October. We had no center. Martini was only a bench player. Lee was frequently out of control. Who would have thought??
Next year, Davis will be a monster, and of Huggins, Sangster, Collins, and maybe even Byriel, I predict that at least one of them will take a big step forward. Things are looking up.
Of course, I am still optimistic about this year's team.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.357 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:12 AM