Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Eating my words        (Topic#27952)
Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
03-09-24 06:12 PM - Post#364829    

We made a game of it for the first half and the first few minutes of the second half. At about the 12 minute mark we couldn’t do a thing and Cornell rolled over us.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Eating my words
03-09-24 06:22 PM - Post#364830    
    In response to Chet Forte

Yeah, Cornell is better than you thought. Really good coach, too.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
03-09-24 08:17 PM - Post#364854    
    In response to palestra38

I give everyone on this Board credit for still standing up in the ring after being punched silly by Pilling and Engles for years. As I recently said on this Board, it had to be evident to Engles and Pilling from the beginning of the season that Columbia would be way overmatched physically in the paint by nearly all their opponents. Yet, that fact was never revealed publicly to the Columbia Fan Base. Engles is a proven loser and should have been canned years ago. Pilling needs to replace him
immediately with someone better who can compete
effectively with all the excellent coaches in the Ivy League. I am not going to make any dire predictions, but this year's 4-10 record in the Ivy League may be Columbia's high water mark. It all depends on the feelings of the players and I worry that they may be very unhappy.

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
03-09-24 08:43 PM - Post#364873    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Why do you think 4-10 is the high point? With the recruits that are coming, I would think we'd win twice as many games next year. Of course, it all depends on what happens upfront. If Nweke is healthy and can give us some good minutes, Mason Ritter provides some heft, and/or Tavroff/BeDRI improve, we will be a lot better.

Also, what do you mean by Piling and Engles failing to "reveal publicly" that our front line was weak? Exactly what kind of public announcement were they supposed to make?

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

03-09-24 11:29 PM - Post#364913    
    In response to cc66

Pilling is staying with Engles. So we should stop kidding ourselves.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
03-09-24 11:32 PM - Post#364915    
    In response to cc66

You raise a couple of fair questions. My concern that this year's 4-10 Ivy League record may be the high point for years to come is rimarily based upon the fact that the team's record under Engles the last three years was 1-13, 1-13, 2-12 and 4-10. I just cannot be very sanguine about that four year record, or others. If a coach wins only one Ivy League Game in each of two seasons and then wins two games in the third, season, and finally wins four games in the fourth season, I wouldn't consider that a good and positive trend. I cannot get very excited if a coach who only wins one Ivy League Game in two consecutive seasons and only two games in the next season, doubles his total wins in the next season. The four win season seems tainted to me. If Engles doubled his predecessor's wins, I would agree that's a positive, but when your doubling your own wins, that's just not a positive to me. As to your other question, my concern, which I believe you share, is that I do not remember receiving any detailed information from anyone in the Administration about almost anything involving the Columbia Men's Basketball Program. Nothing at all. Every coach I have known in any manner whether as an athlete, alum or just as a friend, has been more communicative than Engles and Pilling. I just like coaches and athletic directors who are good communicators and show some emotion. That's just me and you and others can certainly disagree. My biggest concern with the Columbia Men's Basketball Program is my feeling that
at least some of the current players may have lost confidence in Coach Engles because of all the losses

cc66 
Postdoc

03-10-24 08:28 AM - Post#364929    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

I agree that there should be more and better communication from the athletics department. But that's very different than Pilling or Engles making an announcement in November that we have a lousy front line.

I have no inside information about how the players feel. Are they aware of their own limitations, or do they blame the coach? I am sure they are frustrated, but if you have info. beyond that, then you know something I don't know.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

03-10-24 09:58 AM - Post#364938    
    In response to cc66

Look at all of the information we are getting from Poppe, Griffith and Boretti. From MBB we get a ghostwritten two paragraphs once every blue moon, replete with typos, misspellings and 0 substantive information. In other words, we get bupkas.

cc66 
Postdoc

03-10-24 12:55 PM - Post#364962    
    In response to Chet Forte

Wow! Yiddish is among the words we eat!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.389 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:56 PM