Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: So,,,        (Topic#27971)
Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-14-24 05:35 AM - Post#365145    

Is McLaughlin still going to be the MBB coach next season?

If so, why? Because of the union thing?

flinder 
Freshman

Reg: 11-16-16
03-14-24 01:35 PM - Post#365185    
    In response to Go Green

I'm curious about this, too.

I mean, the team has been moribund for forever now; it's not clear the coach is the problem, but he's not the solution.

I don't have any clue how the team's vote to unionize affects McLaughlin's retention. Or do you think other coaches look at the union vote and say, "I don't want to mess with that"?

Maybe they're waiting this long--if the plan is to make a move--to know what that move is. Because if you're going to fire a guy, you better have a plan in place that lets everyone know how you think you'll improve things instead of just saying, "Okay, we got rid of him. Now what?"

I'd want someone--McLaughlin or otherwise--to recruit more aggressively from small towns and rural states, and say, "You can get a top-notch education and, if you think of a city setting as a detriment, we can give you acres of the outdoors." That seems like the only viable tactic to try and turn the team around. Smart bumpkins with grit--that's sort of what Dartmouth needs if they want to sniff winning.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-14-24 03:15 PM - Post#365201    
    In response to flinder

$$$ would work, too.

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-14-24 04:07 PM - Post#365214    
    In response to flinder

• flinder Said:

I'd want someone--McLaughlin or otherwise--to recruit more aggressively from small towns and rural states, and say, "You can get a top-notch education and, if you think of a city setting as a detriment, we can give you acres of the outdoors." That seems like the only viable tactic to try and turn the team around. Smart bumpkins with grit--that's sort of what Dartmouth needs if they want to sniff winning.

Three Time All Ivy and arguably one Dartmouth's best five players ever Shaun Gee was from Nebraska.

Greenhorn 
Senior

Reg: 11-24-04
So,,,
03-19-24 03:08 PM - Post#365866    
    In response to Go Green

If there's going to be a change in leadership for the men's program, I hope it happens quickly so that the new coach isn't too far behind the curve on recruiting, transfers and a support staff.

Coach Shibles didn't leave until Mid April. Coach Cimino was hired in late May, and wasn't up and running until mid-June. That was not helpful to the program.

Edited by Greenhorn on 03-19-24 03:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
03-23-24 01:32 AM - Post#366191    
    In response to flinder

He had players. He's not a bad guy, just not a good coach. He can be good with the Xs & Os, but that isn't enough. He doesn't connect with his players.

You can get guys to come to Hanover with the right coach. As they say, winning solves a lot of problems, unfortunately, he's not winning. We are about to enter a vicious cycle where because of the record and coach the quality of recruits will sink further, which begets more losing. Anyway, it's time to change up—seven years and not a single .500 season. If I'm on the staff I'm getting ahead of the curve and polishing my CV.
"...no excuses - only results!”

CM 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-11-18
03-23-24 07:39 AM - Post#366199    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

To be fair, the MBB hasn’t had a winning record since 1998.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
04-09-24 12:18 AM - Post#367142    
    In response to CM

Finishing bottom in the Ivy seems like a good place to start making changes.
"...no excuses - only results!”

CM 
Masters Student

04-09-24 07:20 AM - Post#367144    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

I believe beating Harvard in that last game of the season saved coach's job.

Go Green 
PhD Student

04-10-24 06:23 AM - Post#367185    
    In response to CM

• CM Said:
I believe beating Harvard in that last game of the season saved coach's job.

But why? Is going 2-12 instead of 1-13 that big of a deal?

Greenhorn 
Senior

04-10-24 01:02 PM - Post#367205    
    In response to Go Green

Winning that meaningless game should not make the slightest difference. The program is embarrassing. The team has not finished in the top HALF of the league in McLaughlin's SEVEN years. There is no reason for optimism. And the only headlines they get are for the players' unionization stunt. Just miserable.

flinder 
Freshman

Reg: 11-16-16
04-10-24 11:40 PM - Post#367253    
    In response to Greenhorn

I don't understand the point of extending McLaughlin's tenure at this point. I always feel bad about wanting someone ousted from a job when he's got a family who certainly don't want to get uprooted from a community where their kids have grown up and are likely thriving--but that is also the nature of working in the coaching ranks. Has the AD just given up on the idea that men's basketball can ever be in the top four in the Ivy League? We didn't win a single road game this year. As an article in The Athletic pointed out, no one on the current roster was born the last time Dartmouth had a winning season. It would be pretty pitiful not to make it to Ivy Madness when we host it (probably for the only time), but that is a distinct probability.

CM 
Masters Student

04-11-24 06:21 AM - Post#367256    
    In response to flinder

Well it might be more a case of letting his contract run out rather than actually extending him. I don't know what his contract duration is, but I can understand the AD not being super anxious to get rid of a coach mid contract. Although the counter is the AD had no problem cashing out on the Shibles as the women's coach after only two years.

Go Green 
PhD Student

04-17-24 12:58 PM - Post#367532    
    In response to CM

You want to know something funny?

With all the transfer losses, Dartmouth may have a shot at being competitive in the league next season. So why not have some continuity?

Not saying that this was all part of Harrity's plan. But keeping McLaughlin one more season doesn't seem as terrible as it did a few weeks ago..

Greenhorn 
Senior

04-18-24 05:10 AM - Post#367555    
    In response to Go Green

They are not going to be competitive next year. McLaughlin hasn't come close to a winning record in any of his seven seasons, and last season was his worst yet. They were 2-12 in league, and only two of those league losses were within single digits. Two of their top four scorers are gone, and they do not have an incoming impact recruit (and haven't had one in McLaughlin's seven years).

Go Green 
PhD Student

So,,,
04-18-24 07:07 AM - Post#367556    
    In response to Greenhorn

• Greenhorn Said:

They are not going to be competitive next year. McLaughlin hasn't come close to a winning record in any of his seven seasons, and last season was his worst yet. They were 2-12 in league, and only two of those league losses were within single digits. Two of their top four scorers are gone, and they do not have an incoming impact recruit (and haven't had one in McLaughlin's seven years).

I take it that you haven't been spending much time on the other Boards on this site.

Pretty much every team that was competitive last year is losing guys not only to graduation, but also to the transfer portal. Even the Columbia guys are showing optimism for their chances next season for this reason.

If you want to say that Dartmouth won't be able to hang with depleted Yale, Penn, Princeton, Harvard and Brown teams, then it seems that we might as well shut down the program--and not because of unionization.

Edited by Go Green on 04-18-24 07:09 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
04-18-24 02:23 PM - Post#367583    
    In response to Go Green

Princeton and Yale both have a lot returning and Cornell was deep.

IMHO, competition will be for 4th again and, yes, Columbia will be competing for that, if not more.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.456 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:23 AM