Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: 2023-2024 Season in Review        (Topic#27986)
LocalTiger 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-15-17
03-21-24 03:41 PM - Post#366023    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

Not blaming anyone if that happens.
Just hoping it does not!

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
2023-2024 Season in Review
03-21-24 04:37 PM - Post#366025    
    In response to LocalTiger

Ironically, our disappointing finish probably ensured that it doesn't happen.

If they made it back to the NCAAs and Mitch had another win or two, I can only imagine the amazing offers he would have received. But now, it behooves him to stay another year or two. The best thing for his career is to leave on a high note.

I was scared he would leave after last year (timing was perfect), but I'm not really worried about this year. Brett MacConnell might leave, but if I were him, I'd position myself to take over for Mitch in a year or two (unless he knows MH wants to stay long-term).

scoop85 
Freshman

Loc: Goshen, NY
Reg: 02-16-12
03-21-24 05:46 PM - Post#366027    
    In response to gokinsmen

As per Verbal Commits Twitter, Matt Allocco is in the transfer portal.

mmp629 
Junior
mmp629
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: 2023-2024 Season in Review
03-21-24 09:24 PM - Post#366041    
    In response to gokinsmen

• gokinsmen Said:

Bravo 2023-2024 Tigers - thank you for a thrilling season of great hoops. Serious fun to watch in addition to the 24-5 record. It wasn't the ending we predicted in February, but it was so much better than anything I expected at the start.

So well said! We had so much fun following the team this year - I'm so glad I got season tickets, which I haven't had in years.

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
03-21-24 10:21 PM - Post#366046    
    In response to mmp629

The quotes here sound like Mitch isn't completely taking everyone's return for granted, which I guess is better than ignoring the possibility, but isn't helping my nerves for the next month or so. https://guardenstate.substack.com/p/princeton-fall...

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
2023-2024 Season in Review
03-21-24 11:41 PM - Post#366049    
    In response to whitakk

This quote from MH hints at everyone coming back Redeem Team style. Seems like they want to take care of unfinished business:

• Quote:
"But they need to get away from the old man for a little bit. They gotta get away from my voice and go be students and enjoy the spring and the nice weather, and then we’ll get back together and talk about our goals for next season, which will be – we’ll have very heavy, lofty goals.”

Dingle and Perkins left early because Penn is in a Joe Scott Era-level funk right now. Meanwhile, Princeton made its first Sweet 16 in the 64-team era followed by a 24-3 Top 50 NET regular season. Our players have it real good right now.

Caden and Xaivian have dream situations at Princeton: big fish in small ponds that still get national attention. Better to be guaranteed stars with tons of shots than go to a high major team that may bench you or take the ball out of your hands.

As for NBA exposure, Lee already has tons of NBA scouts showing up to his games. And I'm sure many are taking notice of Caden too, though more as a fringe prospect like Tosan. And Tosan is already playing in the NBA! Proof of concept right there.

As for the financial motivation, it seems like both Caden and Xaivian come from families who don't need that big NIL payday. They're here for the Princeton degree + big-fish-small-pond exposure. And it's working out better than anyone could have expected.

Yes, it's a bummer to have missed out on a March Moment this year. But that happens to most Power 5 teams too. Or you can make it and lose in the first round like Kentucky just did.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
03-22-24 09:52 AM - Post#366060    
    In response to whitakk

• whitakk Said:
The quotes here sound like Mitch isn't completely taking everyone's return for granted, which I guess is better than ignoring the possibility, but isn't helping my nerves for the next month or so. https://guardenstate.substack.com/p/princeton-fall...

Thanks for posting that link. Very nice interview. Clever question to as Mitch if he wants to retire in Princeton.

I can't shake this sense of foreboding that this is the apex of our basketball program in the 21st century, and that it is downhill from here on.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
03-22-24 10:37 AM - Post#366064    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

I'm very optimistic about the future of Ivy League basketball, and I feel that way for a few reasons.

First, we are absolutely kidding ourselves if we think that NIL was the introduction of paying players in college basketball. People were getting strong-you-know-what offers well before that. And yet the Ivy League was able to get talented players. As we all know well, the value of an Ivy degree is compensation you can get here that you can't get many other places, and that hasn't changed.

Second, there are way way way more high school basketball players in the world than all the D1 coaches could ever see even if they spent their time doing nothing else. Lee and Evbuomwan didn't have any other D1 offers. Danny Wolf was mostly recruited by mid-majors. Makai Mason didn't have any high-major offers. The Ivies have a great history of finding guys whom nobody else saw.

Third, I think the League eventually decides to keep up with the Joneses and will allow NIL collectives. It might take one of the top teams losing a star (God forbid), but I do think it'll happen. I'm certain that there are enough committed alumni who'd be willing to help bankroll such a thing.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

03-22-24 11:13 AM - Post#366066    
    In response to iogyhufi

There is an aura around the Princeton basketball program right now that hasn't been here since the late 90s. The school and the community have a special connection with this team and Jadwin has been full and loud--frankly something that has been missing for a long time.

Recruiting has been strong for several seasons--imagine how well this year's team could have done with Deven Austin and a healthier Jackson Hicke--and it looks like we have several terrific recruits coming next year.

Xaivian and Caden are legitimate stars and they are complemented with a very compelling ensemble around them.

If everything holds, we should enjoy several more fantastic years. I will enthusiastically re-upping my season tickets!

I do remember how that late 90s team fell apart, however, when Billy C. jumped to Northwestern and Chris Young signed with MLB (and of course there was the bizarre Spencer Gloger experience that came right around then).

Mitch has build a culture with humanity and joy at its heart--a lot different than the tone of the Carril years. Let's hope it all holds together.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
03-22-24 11:48 AM - Post#366069    
    In response to TigerFan

• TigerFan Said:

I do remember how that late 90s team fell apart, however, when Billy C. jumped to Northwestern and Chris Young signed with MLB (and of course there was the bizarre Spencer Gloger experience that came right around then).

Mitch has build a culture with humanity and joy at its heart--a lot different than the tone of the Carril years. Let's hope it all holds together.

Thanks for the pep talk and also for the Spencer Gloger reference. I hope you are correct.

No thanks for peeling the scab off of the Chris Young history.

And I agree with your assessment of Mitch. Humanity and Joy. Indeed.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.24 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:09 AM