Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 8 <2345>» Last
Username Post: Auburn        (Topic#27995)
james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
03-18-24 05:59 PM - Post#365769    
    In response to james

despite this
4/7 from 2
0-4 from 3
13 rebs 4 blocks
gave browns nana his worst game and did it against the best fromt line he faces in the ivies
special but raw talent (in some areas) this danny wolf

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-18-24 05:59 PM - Post#365770    
    In response to james

He was tremendous on D, particularly in the first half. Got burned a bit in the second half, but Yale got its first half lead largely because he was a relentless defender.

He was also in excellent position on the last play of the game, too.

james 
Masters Student

03-18-24 06:16 PM - Post#365773    
    In response to penn nation

i just hope he pulls a justin sears unicorn act w the cameras on

and auburns players are blind to his footwork on tape dismissing it as "white mans league who cares"

lets be honest danny doesnt jump well. neither did justin. makes them potentially sneaky scout conclusions pre game.

justin had arms like inspector gadget and bizarre finishing ability. wolf is a 7' guard. unique

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
03-18-24 06:33 PM - Post#365774    
    In response to james

• james Said:
its kind of a shame. just listened to lock in podcast on auburn and they dont know who danny wolf is and just mocked yale

Princeton was mocked on the Arizona hoops podcast last year in the days before the Tigers shocked the world. I enjoyed the hell out of their post-game podcast after our guys out-rebounded and out-shot blocked their giant front line.

james 
Masters Student

03-18-24 06:38 PM - Post#365775    
    In response to TigerFan

i listened to that and found it hilarious when the postgame one came out.

but we need danny to channel his inner tosan and he is but 19 which is young esp for a 7 footer who played 2 guard just a few yrs back

james 
Masters Student

03-18-24 06:44 PM - Post#365777    
    In response to james

i might have even subtweeted those az clowns postgame.

i am always #oneivy in march.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

03-18-24 07:51 PM - Post#365784    
    In response to james

Are you headed out for the game(s), James? After following the Tigers to Sacramento and Louisville last year with a college roommate, I was ready to fly anywhere for another taste of Madness this year.

james 
Masters Student

03-18-24 08:58 PM - Post#365795    
    In response to TigerFan

i dont think so. i am bad luck for the bulldogs. we blew the lsu game when i last attended so call it superstition as well. it was fun though

and its a hell of a flight for me as i have creaky bones long legs and wide hips. toxic mix.

but i can imagine last year was a bucket list experience for you. i am jealous.
i just hope for a competitive game from my couch. auburn is so tough.

james 
Masters Student

03-18-24 09:02 PM - Post#365796    
    In response to james

i was in austin for the sweet 16 last yr.

i remember some UT alum buddies were like why are you pulling so hard for princeton? i'm like its hard to explain--you cant stand each other when competing but then as you get older those guys become your friends.

so its like that stupid "S-E-C" cheer but hopefully with a higher IQ attached. ha

palestra38 
Professor

Auburn
03-18-24 09:14 PM - Post#365801    
    In response to james

Auburn is really good. But I'll be rooting for Yale. I don't have them in my bracket, though.

james 
Masters Student

03-18-24 09:27 PM - Post#365804    
    In response to palestra38

it might be our last chance watching an ivy league school in the most competitive tournament.
i am being extreme bc there is mass resistance to chance to this lucrative product....

but greg sankey of the sec raised it as he continues to destroy college football as we know it and the CFP.

i cant stand him or their conference. i am whispering

james 
Masters Student

03-18-24 09:32 PM - Post#365805    
    In response to james

on further review we wanted a banged up kansas on a neutral floor this time.

thank you worthless committee! and in spokane of all places for the 2nd time this year. gross

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Auburn
03-18-24 09:58 PM - Post#365815    
    In response to james

I'll be rooting for Yale on Friday. I'm not as pessimistic as you seem to be that the Ivies are about to enter a period of steep descent. I've been following the Tigers since I was a kid in the 70s, then as a student there, and ever since. If I had a nickel for every time over the years that I've thought "I'll never see a Princeton team this good again in my lifetime"... For 25 years I thought the '98 team was the last, great Tiger team I'd ever see. Then last year--bang!--Sweet Sixteen.

Sorry you can't make it to the game, James. Find yourself a nice sports bar somewhere and wear your Yale gear proudly. I was in LA in 1996 when Princeton stunned UCLA and that was the next best thing to being at the game. (A college roomate and I swore after that game that we'd never miss the Tigers in the tournament again and have seen them play--and mostly lose in heartbreaking fashion--live in 97, 98, 01, 04, 11, 17, and then last year).

Enjoy the madness

Edited by TigerFan on 03-18-24 09:59 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

james 
Masters Student

03-18-24 10:06 PM - Post#365817    
    In response to TigerFan

ha thats nice.

i watched that '97 game upside down on a spring break in fort lauderdale with a bunch of fraternity brothers sleeping 6 to a room which should hold 2.

we went crazy when they pulled it off on the backdoor. and for the record i got tortured guarding steve goodrich in hs and college games as recently as like a week before. and i tht mitch henderson was the devil. cldnt freaking stand him on court. was like alocco on opponents today i an sure.
but yale sigma nu was oneivy.

and we were for penn when they faced bama with mcdyess and mccaffrey in the middle like a year or two before. i was in panama city beach at a sports bar for that one after being destroyed at the palestra days before.

those were the days.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
03-18-24 10:06 PM - Post#365818    
    In response to james

• james Said:
he has been scouted a defended very well in league oarticularly the 2nd time around +

he hasnt refined his post game and doesnt finish at an elite level yet. so thats how you try to limit him. make him finish with the ball in the air. step 1 is deny on wing or trap him to get the ball up not down.
this is truly unusual and this is part of my point.

Brown also mixed up the timing and direction from which the double teams attacked Wolf. That led to a few turnovers.

As much of an improvement he made from his freshman season (when he looked borderline unplayable) to this year, I think there's still room for more growth. He needs to get stronger and refine his skills.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-18-24 10:26 PM - Post#365820    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Maybe if he gets to the point where he doesn't need a face guard that would improve matters as well.

james 
Masters Student

03-18-24 10:42 PM - Post#365821    
    In response to penn nation

i call it "ball in the air" which makes little sense but i think i identified the strategy and weakness before the opponents did and on this board (pat on back)

mitch henderson more eloquently said (before yale II) " we have to make him play like a center than a guard"

thats what i meant anyway. but dont tell the pearls or ira

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-19-24 07:15 AM - Post#365824    
    In response to james

I enjoyed the heck out of Yale beating Baylor.

I feel like a slow tempo and few turnovers committed will give the Elis a decent chance. The shooting guards will have to cash in, and probably Poulikadis will have to create a couple of his own shots to do it. An uphill battle but not requiring a miracle.

james 
Masters Student

03-19-24 07:57 AM - Post#365826    
    In response to SRP

i agree with this.

you have to limit to's, control the pace, battle on the boards hard annoy them with longer possessions and hit timely shots.

they have good guards and a lot of them but they arent particularly big just quick and strong. they can shoot the 3 and are built for runs if you cant handle pace

you hope wolf stays out of foul trouble bc its not just broome down there. you likely need to give aletan some minutes against their backup center if wolf does or maybe anyway.
i dont like the 3/4 matchups. the dominican kid has ignited more runs than i care to remember when i have watched them
auburn doesnt have a lot of weakness and they arent positionally "heavy" like az

problem: you have to do a lot of things well and they can shoot the 3 ball

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
03-19-24 11:03 AM - Post#365834    
    In response to james

Some things that make me feel better about the matchup, in no particular order:

I think analytics systems tend to overrate good teams that play uptempo, and Auburn is one such team. Teams like that get a lot of turnovers for easy layups and get more possessions against bad teams, which gooses their offensive numbers. Yale doesn't turn the ball over much and has ball handlers at all five spots, which will help limit that sort of thing.

When there's a clash of tempos, the team that can control the tempo gives itself an advantage, and a team that plays slow has more of a say in the matter than a team that plays fast does.

Auburn hasn't exactly been tremendous away from home this year. Their best win out of Alabama before the SEC Tournament was @KP87 Ole Miss.

Fast teams sometimes have a tendency to be a bit undisciplined, and some of Auburn's number support the idea that they might be too. For example, they're 60th in the country at OREB%, but they're only 234th in DRB%. They're also one of the most foul-prone teams in the country and send their opponents to the line a lot. (Of course, making free throws has been something of an adventure for Yale lately, but still.)

Danny Wolf is a challenge to guard. Obviously teams in the league have managed to challenge him pretty well, but it might be harder to do for a team putting together a scout on two days notice with max 2 practices to implement it. We've got some evidence that this is the case too - look at what he did against Hunter Dickinson, who's the best big Yale faced all year by a long shot.

I may have to watch the game on tape delay, since my fiancée is coming to visit Friday evening, but I think the Bulldogs can give a good account of themselves on Friday, and if things go well, they could even win the darn thing.

Page 2 of 8 <2345>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.323 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:19 PM