Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: San Diego State        (Topic#28013)
james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
03-25-24 12:24 AM - Post#366363    
    In response to james

i wanted to see a better game and feel for them. they just got broken in 1h.
reality was uconn wouldve been a disaster anyway i'd imagine and might for sdsu when they mean revert. we'll see

lose a lot this offseason. we'll see on Wolf etc

james 
Masters Student

03-25-24 12:29 AM - Post#366364    
    In response to penn nation

i think uconn could boatrace them in boston.
but we'll see.

sdsu did what i thought they'd do defensively really. we had good shots in IH but seemed intimidated when we couldnt hit them.

and lets be honest we were just exposed by them in every way and they never let up.

hard time for it happen but hard to play them in a late game in the west anyway.
if they can shoot even 40% from 3 they cld uconn a game but i dont buy it really

james 
Masters Student

03-25-24 12:37 AM - Post#366365    
    In response to james

i think the coaching q i have is when do get down 7 at the jump after missing everything including fts (knowling) use your tos baby.
settle them down and dont let momentum build. you get long tv timeouts anyway. also try to disrupt theit rhythm goven how confident they looked.

but would it have mattered? no. but otherwise dont know what jones does. they got hammered

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
San Diego State
03-25-24 01:03 AM - Post#366370    
    In response to james

Tough way to go out but Yale still made the Ivy proud with the Auburn upset. I've seen a lot of SDSU games this season, and this is the best offensive game I've seen them play all year.

They have a penchant for playing close games with almost everyone - inferior and superior opponents alike - and usually pulling out a close win. But when Jaedon Ledee made 2 threes to start the game... I knew they were unusually locked in.

I also wonder if Poulakidas' shot was affected by hitting his elbow/wrist on the floor.

james 
Masters Student

03-25-24 01:15 AM - Post#366371    
    In response to gokinsmen

yea i havent seen them much but i would tip my cap to sdsu and unlv out of the mw. they both play hard and are very physical and hell to play when they make shots.

just a terrible snowball. i do agree with james that the team "splintered" late 1H and lost the gritty edge that resurrected the season after Brown II.
kind of an odd feature of this team with all the blown leads at the beginning.

i expected a better game and thought this was bettwr matchup than auburn. boy was i wrong.
jones' postgame opening statement was great particularly the part about sports as a metaphor for life and sometimes you get a sh--t sandwich and have to eat it.

thats what it was. i worry abt the future of yale basketball and the league so that's the sandwich i dont want to eat and had hoped in front of it tonight's would taste better. nope

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
03-25-24 07:25 AM - Post#366374    
    In response to james

This was actually one of the less frustrating ways to go out, I think. San Diego State shot a tick under 50% from three, and that's the only thing they were notably poor at as a team. Would've been nigh impossible to beat that even with a good game from Yale, which makes the fact that Yale's actually good shooters couldn't hit their good shots and SDSU's bad ones were hitting heat checks less irritating.

Obviously who knows what happens player-movementwise, but if everybody comes back, next year looks bright. Matt and August will be hard to replace, of course, but there are talented freshmen who didn't get much run this year waiting in the wings for their shot. It was a fun season to be a Bulldog fan, and I hope that this NCAA performance helps the Ivy get some respect from the committee going forward.

james 
Masters Student

03-25-24 07:41 AM - Post#366375    
    In response to iogyhufi

i had hoped we put sole game pressure on them for fun after the start. the duke game from 2016 was an incredible comeback that fell short.

but yea sometimes getting thrashed in every category makes it easier to swalllow.

i wasnt prepared for what we got from them at all. neither was the team.
"everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."-mike tyson

i probably gloated too hard with auburn. but i couldnt help it
. such a special upset. just as this was an unexpected beat down

james 
Masters Student

03-25-24 07:47 AM - Post#366376    
    In response to james

there will be a lot of young talent coming up and i like the recruiting class. need to have a shooter step and up and theoretically wolf/aletan would be great.

danny didnt have the tourney i expected. who kmows what lies ahead with him but developing his post game should be his focus not matter what he does.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-25-24 08:41 PM - Post#366446    
    In response to james

Consecutive Sweet 16s too much to hope for. But nice try, Dogs. Jones is super coach

james 
Masters Student

03-25-24 10:09 PM - Post#366455    
    In response to Tiger69

it stings. backhanded or not. we didnt get it done.

i dont want to get greedy with the portal but i am not sure what it would take to win that game if you replayed it.

i assume it would be closer but still quite a delta given our lack of shooting depth to counter a packed in lane and some grown men under the basket. but its a funny sport on a big stage where stuff snowballs fast.

when do the 24/25 year olds stop playing ? i assume next year but the math is fuzzy.

if we have an exodus of sorts maybe you mandate a gap year for 1 star players and try to bulk them up to compete in year 5. ha

but seriously yale beat the sec tournament champ and never really had its A/+ game. that is crazy. flip side is princeton and cornell played pretty well also against tough teams.
still impressive in this era

james 
Masters Student

03-25-24 10:14 PM - Post#366456    
    In response to james

despite my respect for them i still lean uconn 10.5 pretty hard in boston.
i just dont think much is repeatable and ladee could get stymied by clingan and the backup 5. his line drives might not all go in.
uconn shot 3-22 from 3 and buried northwestern in a more neutral game.
but i was so wrong on the gravity of this one that i have stage fright.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
03-26-24 12:00 AM - Post#366462    
    In response to james

One of the most under rated players on the Sweet Sixteen Tigers team was Keeshawn Kellman. At 6’9” 240 he had a Power-5 body and a nifty skill set that complemented Tosan (a muscular 6’8” 220) very nicely. The stunning part to many about the upset over Arizona is that we shot very poorly from deep in that game and, if memory serves, had more blocked shots and dunks than the Wildcats with their twin towers. The Tigers had a great run this year but without the height and muscle of those two guys, I’m not sure we would have made it very far in the NCAA tournament if we had made it past Brown and Yale in Ivy Madness. 6’7 6’7 6’4 is just a lot different than 6’9 6’8 6’7 when you’re playing with the big boys. The Tigers should have a really nice team next year but will be even smaller unless they can get more playing time from their returning bigs who showed promise but didn’t play much this year.

james 
Masters Student

03-26-24 05:10 AM - Post#366464    
    In response to TigerFan

very true and no doubt.

i think you take it a step further now and being old underneath the basket helps along with size and skill. princeton had both last year with an elite floor spreading big.

you are now playing against grown men with this ridiculous redshirt + covid yr+ get paid to hang around era. it changed fast and guys like calipari found out the hard way.
i remember when it was a rush to get out of college to play pro ball somewhere. was like yesterday
now it's the opposite unless you are a top 50 player.

james 
Masters Student

03-26-24 05:14 AM - Post#366465    
    In response to james

i saw a graphic that unc's starting lineup at 22.8 years is as old as the oklahoma thunder.
samson aletan is a beast but he hasnt turned 19. danny wolf is 19.
just tough to play against a ladee and broome etc

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
03-26-24 08:57 AM - Post#366474    
    In response to james

The darndest thing about being a 12/13 seed is that it's much harder to make a S16 run or deeper than it would be if the same team were a 14 or 15. Mathematically speaking, you've got to beat two teams ranked in the top 25 in the country to make it out of the first weekend as a 12 or 13. We can grant that it's a bit harder to beat a 2 or 3 than a 4 or 5. But your second round game is against a 6 (or 11; that upset is a lot more likely to happen and help you) or a 7/10, teams who are usually pretty seriously flawed power conference teams (for example, Missouri last year). We can look at Oakland this year or Saint Peter's from 2022 as examples of why this might be.

This is kind of the wages of being a mid-major - you're really just not going to be higher than a 12 or maybe an 11 no matter what you do. McNeese State was 30-3 with a Quad 1 win and only one bad loss. 12 seed. James Madison was 31(!)-3 with an absolute gem of a win at Michigan State and only one bad loss. 12 seed. Heck, had Princeton won the ILT, they'd have been an 11 seed with 3 Q2 wins and zero bad losses! (No Q1 wins, granted, but also no Q1 opportunities). Whereas you can be 14-loss NC State or 11-loss Duquesne and get an 11 seed because the committee respects your conference. Hopefully this recent run earns the Ivy some respect.

james 
Masters Student

03-26-24 09:31 AM - Post#366475    
    In response to iogyhufi

thats a good point.

also i just remember coach k saying in 2016 "they're good and they are old" when referencing yale

this is just not true right now.

theoretically it could be more true when you look at yale or princeton in 2 years and eliminate the covid year.

but with NIL i would imagine most power 5 teams will have 5th years to counterbalance any youth.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-26-24 05:10 PM - Post#366561    
    In response to james

Changes in the rules and the officiating have made shot blocking (and contesting at the rim) more important than ever. Drawing charges and positional post defense have become difficult or impossible against good players who are allowed to crash into the defender, liberally use their off hand to ward off defenders, and carry, travel, etc. on their final approach. The Tennessee-Texas game in this year’s tournament was a great example, with athletic guards and bigs flying in to strip, contest, and block layup attempts every time. Maybe one or two attempts to draw a charge.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-26-24 05:19 PM - Post#366563    
    In response to SRP

As a counterpoint, Gabbie Marshall on Iowa really knows how to draw a charge. And gets key blocks despite her size.

james 
Masters Student

03-26-24 06:38 PM - Post#366568    
    In response to SRP

yes, i couldnt believe how much more physical it was under the basket in yale's two games.
i also remember robbie hummel saying during the auburn game when wolf fouled out that all yale had was samson who while 6.10 only weighed 223.
of course he won that game on the last possession by blocking two shots but we cldnt secure a rebound for like 33 seconds.
it's a different game now. i watch vonterius woolbright get triple doubles as a pg bc he just posts up in the lane in the southern conference and pulls a ladee.
got to get thicker and older down there to compete.

james 
Masters Student

03-26-24 06:41 PM - Post#366569    
    In response to james

assuming he doesnt transfer this is what is so exciting about Samson.
his legs are tree trunks for a kid his height and age.
and he has power 5 length and athleticism.
which is why texas, houston, tcu, etc all wanted him.

he might always be 223 in the yale program but i see him at 240-250 next year. And unlike ajogbar he might have time to expand his game bf he graduates again assuming he stays.

god forbid wolf stays. then you have a power 5 tandem at the 4/5

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.339 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:11 PM