Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Zack Crimmins        (Topic#3222)
VA Renegades 

Reg: 10-15-05
07-07-06 02:44 AM - Post#21177    

One of my players, 7' Zack Crimmins took an unofficial visit yesterday. It went very well from his perspective. As of today his final schools for official visits this fall will be Bucknell-Columbia-Penn- Holy Cross and Lafayette. He is a 4.0-1500

He has tremendous upside on the court, but because of the lack of physical strength he is much more effective at the high post.

I believe the school also has an interest in Conner Hartley from my team and he is really more of a wing shooter at 6'6".

Just thought I would pass this on

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
Re: Zack Crimmins
07-07-06 03:18 AM - Post#21178    
    In response to VA Renegades

Welcome to the board and thanks for the news. I'm sure everyone in the Bucknell community is rooting for Zack to make the "right" choice. In all seriousness though, at the mid-major level there is no more enthusiastic environment in which to play than Sojka, and academically no-one can go wrong with a Bucknell education.

From the Bison hoops perspective, with Chris McNaughton graduating, the #1 priority for this year's recruiting class clearly is a big man. As you've probably seen, the center in a Flannery offense spends a fair amount of time at the high post, so it might be a good fit. We'd love to see Zack right in the middle of at least a couple more NCAA tourney wins.

Thanks again and keep us posted.

P.S. I hope Zack had a chance to meet new assistant coach Dan Bowen, who was a tremendous center for the Bison in the late '90's.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
07-07-06 11:28 AM - Post#21179    
    In response to Bison137

thanks for posting, glad to hear he had a good visit.

assuming you are his aau coach, i am curious where the third member of the triumvirate leaning. thought there was at least mild mutual interest with Bucknell as well. good luck with the team. what tournaments are you playing in this summer?

VA Renegades 

Reg: 10-15-05
07-07-06 01:40 PM - Post#21180    
    In response to KenZ

Teddy is very interested in Bucknell- he had a slight tear of the MCL back in April and is just bouncing back and was cleared last week to go back full speed- Not so sure there is a need for him at Bucknell or their evaluation will put him in the mix- great school and program and to be honest they are in a position to be recruiting better guards.

He is still being actively recruited by a few other schools in the conference, ivies, and southern conference with some inquiries from a few bigger schools but that would not be in his best interest. July is a critical month for him, as it is with most young men.

The team itself is 32-7 this spring we won 4 and finished second twice including the second Weber back in April. We are playing in Myrtle Beach next week- Vegas and then LA for the Best of Summer.

Vegas will be the first time we have the entire group together since last fall, so it has been interesting and challenging for the kids.

Take care

Administrator 
Junior
Administrator
Reg: 11-08-04
Recruiting Regulations
07-07-06 02:37 PM - Post#21181    
    In response to KenZ

According to the NCAA definition, "Recruiting is any solicitation of a prospect or prospect's relatives (or legal guardians) by an institutional staff member or by a representative of athletics interests for the purpose of securing the prospect's enrollment and ultimate participation in the institution's athletics program." With this definition in mind, the basic provisions of this NCAA regulation are as follows:

• A booster is prohibited from making in-person, on- or off-campus recruiting contacts, or written or telephone communication with a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or legal guardians.

• A booster is prohibited from contacting the prospect’s coach, principal or counselor for the purpose of evaluating the prospect.

http://bucknellbison.cstv.com/compliance/recruiting-regulations.html

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Re: Recruiting Regulations
07-08-06 06:43 PM - Post#21182    
    In response to Administrator

This post, plus the press release about Bill Courtney, got me to thinking about the Bison hoopsters who have come from Virginia or the Baltimore-Washington corridor. Some who came to mind (assuming my memory is correct) include:

PAST

Charlie Woollum, of course.
Al Leslie
Jaye Andrews
Bill Courtney
Bo Heiden (actually from just over the border in Martinsburg, WV) *
Greg Leggett
Jeremiah Bennett

PRESENT

Charles Lee
Josh Linthicum
Justin Castleberry
Patrick Behan

* Heiden may be the answer to some trivia question, having played and coached for teams in Iceland, Finland, Sweden, Italy, Portugal, Poland, Latvia, Germany, Spain, and Belgium. Also Lewisburg.

What other Bison were from the Virginia/Maryland area?

BreakinBison 
Sophomore

07-08-06 07:43 PM - Post#21183    
    In response to Bison137

Here's a couple quick ones off of the top of my head:

Kevin Wenk (VA)
Kihlon Golden (VA)
Willie Callahan (VA)
Jordan Hardenbergh (VA)

BUPilot 
Masters Student
BUPilot
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 02-11-06
07-08-06 09:52 PM - Post#21184    
    In response to BreakinBison

Because the Administrator's post didn't define what a 'Booster' is according to the NCAA, I've copied below the NCAA's definition of a 'booster' a/k/a a 'Representative of Athletic Interests' set forth in NCAA Bylaw 13.02.13 (Revised Feb. 2000):

"A 'representative of the institution's athletics interests' is an individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution's executive or athletics administration to:

(a) Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution's intercollegiate athletics program;

(b) Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;

(c) Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;

(d) Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or

(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution's athletics program."

Once some is identified as a representative of athletic interests for a school, that person or organization retains that identity as a booster indefinitely according to the NCAA (Bylaw 13.02.13.1).

Use your own knowledge of your past actions to determine whether you're considered a Booster in the eyes of the NCAA, and for Bucknell's sake and reputation, please err on the side of caution.
Will Atlas shrug? Who is John Galt?

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
07-08-06 10:40 PM - Post#21185    
    In response to BUPilot

Of course, even if someone here might fall under the legal definition of a booster, I don't think anything on this board ever has come even remotely close to meeting any condition considered to be "recruiting":

- Solicitation of a prospect or prospect's relatives by an institutional staff member or by a representative of athletics interests for the purpose of securing the prospect's enrollment

- Making in-person, on- or off-campus recruiting contacts, or written or telephone communication with a prospect or the prospect’s relatives

- Contacting the prospect’s coach, principal or counselor for the purpose of evaluating the prospect.

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
Reg: 01-22-06
07-08-06 10:49 PM - Post#21186    
    In response to Bison137

Quote:

Contacting the prospect’s coach, principal or counselor for the purpose of evaluating the prospect.

you could quite easily make the argument that the prospects coach was contacted for the purpose of making an evaluation. regardless, i think everyone who was fuzzy on the rules is now wiser for it. and hey, yet another 'whoda thunk it' to add to our list.

nice to know the visit went well, though!
The Bracket Bustin' Bison are Back!

Okay. First round streak BACK ON!

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
07-08-06 11:30 PM - Post#21187    
    In response to ericatbucknell

I thought the coach contacted us?
Ray Bucknell!

Administrator 
Junior
Administrator
Reg: 11-08-04
07-09-06 12:00 AM - Post#21188    
    In response to atlantabison

From the Board Rules you all agreed to when you signed up for your account:

"It is a potential violation of NCAA recruiting regulations for alumni and boosters to engage a potential recruit or his or her family or coaches in discussion. The board is popular with the families and coaches of potential recruits, and many come here to find out more about the schools they are considering. Answering their questions to the board is fine, but don't engage the person directly in a conversation."

If you think that we're overreacting about these matters, consider that just a few years ago, an Ivy League school had to report a possible recruiting violation to the NCAA when an alumnus engaged in an Internet message board discussion with the parent of a recruiting prospect.

It's really not worth making your alma mater report a possible recruiting violation, so do yourselves and your schools a favor and just resist the urge to converse with potential recruits, the parents, or coaches. There's no reward and way too much risk.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
07-09-06 04:13 AM - Post#21189    
    In response to VA Renegades

Thanks, administrator, for the input. Given the hundreds of pages in the NCAA rules manual, I'm glad that there is someone monitoring all of the boards. As the father of a D1 athlete who went through the whole recruiting process, I have some appreciation of the complexity of the various rules and regulations. Here are a few additional thoughts that some might be interested in:

1. First, everyone should understand that "Virginia Renegades" has every right to post here under NCAA rules and that he can legitimately publish info any time he chooses. (And it was an interesting post, btw.) As the adminstrator points out, he can also ask questions and people on the board can properly answer.

2. There are often different rules governing a college coach contacting the recruit and his/her parents as opposed to contact with the athlete's coach. I can personally attest that there are many instances where the coach cannot phone the athlete but can legitimately call the athlete's high school or club coach.

3. The basic NCAA rule on boosters says, in its entirety, that "in-person recruiting contact by boosters is prohibited, as are written (including electronic correspondence) and telephonic communications with THE PROSPECT AND THE PROSPECT'S RELATIVES. (Caps are mine.)

4. I imagine the aforementioned Ivy school, the one that opted to report a series of exchanges between one of its boosters and a player's parent, felt they needed to do so because of the provision about contact with a "prospect's relatives". As far as I have seen or heard, the NCAA rules, if any, about contact with a coach are not as restrictive.

5. As BUPilot pointed out, a number of posters who probably don't think of themselves as "boosters" nonetheless fall into that category based on the NCAA definition. For example, anyone who has contributed to the Bison Club may well be classified as a booster.

6. Over the years, I have seen a number of occasions where a school's boosters exchanged messages (sometimes many of them) with a prospect's parents on a message board. One of them involved a well-known Duke recruit's father. Another involved a UConn recruit. I am not aware of any case where a school was sanctioned in any way.

In any event, this gives us all something more to think about. It's sometimes a shame that the blatant cheating of the Tarkanians and Harricks etc of the world force the NCAA to overlegislate, causing more hassle for those who are honorable and follow the rules.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Boosters/contacts
07-19-06 09:16 PM - Post#21190    
    In response to Bison137

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/071906aai.html
Kentucky Self-Reports MySpace Recruiting Violation

The postings were on the site of prep basketball star Patrick Patterson

July 19, 2006

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) -- Kentucky self-reported a secondary NCAA violation because of postings on a potential recruit's MySpace.com Web site, apparently by fans.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Re: Boosters/contacts
07-19-06 10:36 PM - Post#21191    
    In response to Brian Martin

Interesting info. With Kentucky involved, I'm surprised the boosters weren't offering $20,000 in small bills.

It is important to remember that NCAA rules about the conduct of boosters are directed at contact of any kind with a player or that player's relatives. As I posted above, the basic NCAA rule on boosters says, in its entirety, that "in-person recruiting contact by boosters is prohibited, as are written (including electronic correspondence) and telephonic communications with THE PROSPECT AND THE PROSPECT'S RELATIVES.

As far as I have been able to determine, both from reading the rules and as the father of a recruited D1 athlete, there are no specific rules about contact with coaches. In any case, however, it is always wise to err on the side of caution if you're not sure of the rules. There is no rule at all against exchanging posts with a coach on a message board, as has been done here, but to go a lot further and pursue an in-person contact with that coach would probably not be wise (although not expressly prohibited either). And, as can be seen with the MySpace article, ANY contact of any kind with the athlete or his/her relatives is a no-no. (Although the rule about contact with parents of players on message boards has been violated MANY times - Duke for example.)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.383 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:41 AM