Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: OOC Schedule Update        (Topic#3244)
GoBison 
Junior
GoBison
Reg: 01-22-06
07-15-06 12:50 AM - Post#21276    

Updating the OOC analysis based on what we've heard... 14 games total (and including today's HoopTime rumor of GMU at the MCI center)

Away Games (8): Albany, Penn State, Yale, Cornell, Villanova, St. Joes, Xavier, and St Francis PA

Neutral Court (3): George Mason @ MCI Center, Pepsi Marist Classic: 1 - neutral Central Ark and 1 away (Marist) or neutral (NIU)

Home (3) - UNI, Wake Forest, Bracket Buster

If the GMU rumor is true - I'm wondering if there has there been another home game scheduled - and an away game dropped (the unsigned Penn State game, perhaps?)..

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
Re: OOC Schedule Update
07-15-06 01:51 AM - Post#21277    
    In response to GoBison

I see that the GMU story is now off the HoopTime site for some reason. I agree that if we play GMU then one of the other games is likely to not come to pass, since it seems probable the Bison will add one more home game. (Even with one additional game added, that is a low number of home games albeit a high quality of opponent.)

If the GMU game comes to pass, I could see Penn State or maybe St Francis as the likely games to disappear. St Joes seems to be a done deal based on postings on their message board, and I doubt we'd have a problem getting together with Villanova on a date. Cornell ,as far as I know, is unconfirmed but again I wouldn't expect there to be big problems getting that game done. Xavier made a big announcement about our game so I assume that is done but I'm not sure if I ever saw a final blurb about a signed contract.

Ethomas626 

Reg: 06-29-06
07-15-06 02:26 AM - Post#21278    
    In response to Bison137

Story is still up there.

I should tell you that Gabe Norwood and I are good friends, I called his games in HS, so I have been close to the Norwood bros for the last 5 years or so.

The way it sounded, Gabe told me it was a done deal, and I was dare I say giddy, when I heard it. Bison are really stacking up on some good non-cons.

GMU by the way, hosts Wichita State (as the return for last year's Bracket Buster) and will also be involved in the bracket buster again. Gabe said the frosh class they have coming in is really good too. They pulled a good recruit out of Baltimore apparently.

This would be one helluva match up if it comes to.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
07-15-06 02:36 AM - Post#21279    
    In response to Ethomas626

Quote:

Story is still up there.

Help. I've gone to the HoopTime site a dozen times in the past thirty minutes and reloaded each time, and yet the latest story I see is from July 12th, about the new Niagara A.D. If you go to the site and then reload, is the story still there then? If it is, I'm puzzled why I'm not seeing it. Could it have been taken down again?

npyoung35 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-24-06
07-15-06 02:43 AM - Post#21280    
    In response to Bison137

Still there, even after reloading, as far as I can tell...

Ethomas626 

07-15-06 02:52 AM - Post#21281    
    In response to npyoung35

I'm using Mozilla and I just went back and all of the stories from today (the 14th) show up fine.

DCAJedi 
Masters Student

Loc: Somewhere.
Reg: 11-21-04
07-15-06 03:13 AM - Post#21282    

Pardon the intrusion from a Penn fan but as a DC native, it strikes me as really odd that you guys would play GMU at Verizon (not MCI anymore) Center and not Patriot Center. Unless it's the BB&T Classic, and I thought it didn't really exist as such anymore.

Regardless, that game won't draw 20,000 fans -- with all due respect I'm not sure it'll even draw the Patriot Center's 10,000-ish capacity if the game is standing on its own. This is not to belittle either team's fan base, but I think you guys know what I mean. But of course it's irrelevant if it's part of a doubleheader or something, which it probably is.
"Here will be an old abusing of God's patience, and the king's English."

Ethomas626 

07-15-06 03:34 AM - Post#21283    
    In response to DCAJedi

Gabe didn't shed much light on whether or not it was a tourny or one of those "Classics" that are put on. So who knows. My guess, because of the nice arena that GMU has, it is part of something bigger. Keep in mind it hasn't been confirmed either. And sorry for calling it MCI and not Verizon.

DCAJedi 
Masters Student

Loc: Somewhere.
Reg: 11-21-04
07-15-06 11:37 AM - Post#21284    

hey it's no big deal -- i call it mci all the time. and believe me, i'm no corporate hack for anyone.

actually, the nickname for the place, "the phone booth," still stands regardless.
"Here will be an old abusing of God's patience, and the king's English."

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
07-15-06 01:40 PM - Post#21285    
    In response to DCAJedi

It seems likely that if this game comes to fruition, it will be part of the BB&T Classic, a charity event which John Feinstein is involved in. It is always played the first week of December in the Verizon Center. Traditionally it had GW, MD, and two other strong teams in a 2-day Saturday/Sunday tournament format. Then last year, it became a one-day event, featuring six teams - Navy vs Howard, George Mason vs American, and GW vs MD, played on the first Monday in December. As you can see in one of the linked articles below, Feinstein last winter said that it would probably continue to be a one-day event but possibly with only four teams. The tournament's web site, under "teams", shows two teams already in - GW and MD. IF that is the case, presumably they would meet each other in the 9 PM game and we would play GMU in the 6:30 matchup.

http://www.gwhatchet.com/media/storage/p...w.gwhatchet.com

http://www.gwhatchet.com/media/storage/p...w.gwhatchet.com

http://www.bbandtclassic.com/index.html

Shot Clock 
Masters Student

Loc: Arlington VA
Reg: 01-27-06
07-15-06 05:33 PM - Post#21286    
    In response to Bison137

Bucknell vs. Mason in the BB&T would be great - particularly since I live in NoVa.
B.A. Bucknell University, 1993

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
07-15-06 07:41 PM - Post#21287    
    In response to Bison137

This would be a rather big venue for the Bison to play in for a neutral site regular season game...Hopefully the place is pretty full for it!

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
07-15-06 07:55 PM - Post#21288    
    In response to BUFan

Quote:

This would be a rather big venue for the Bison to play in for a neutral site regular season game...Hopefully the place is pretty full for it!

See my earlier post for details. This game will likely be the first game of the BB&T Classic, with a game between George Washington and Maryland to follow. Even with two games, however, they may not fill the place. Last year's classic, with GMU vs American and Maryland vs GW, drew just under 12,000 people. This year, the MD - GW matchup, may be a bit less of a draw, but GMU is now a big name and the GMU-BU matchup is a lot more attractive than the American-GMU game was last year. (There was also a Howard-Navy afternoon game last year that probably had little effect on the overall attendance.)

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
07-20-06 10:20 AM - Post#21289    
    In response to Bison137

not sure this is even based on an updated conversation with the coach, but for completeness of information:

http://www.dailyitem.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060720/SPORTS02/607200330/-1/SPORTS

the disparity between the statement "hoping to get a few more teams to come to Sojka Pavilion" and what we think we know about the schedule to date is confusing.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
07-20-06 10:44 AM - Post#21290    
    In response to KenZ

and now i see SFP game is confirmed. frankly that was the game i was hoping fell apart. oh well, at least it is a home opponent for next year.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/Sports/articles.asp?articleID=3347

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
07-20-06 06:12 PM - Post#21291    
    In response to KenZ

Not necessarily at Lewisberg next year as this is the return game from two years ago.
Ray Bucknell!

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
07-20-06 10:29 PM - Post#21292    
    In response to atlantabison

According to an article in the Daily Item a couple of months ago on Bison scheduling, we have St Francis for the next four years, presumably two there and two in Lewisburg. Maybe the game we owed them just went away because they refused to schedule it last year (?). Or else we are finishing the old contract and then doing a two-home, one-away deal (?).

"Saint Francis (Pa.), which dropped Bucknell last season after winning the two previous meetings, is back on for four years, beginning this season in Loretto."

http://www.dailyitem.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060427/SPORTS02/604270340/-1/SPORTS

GoBison 
Junior
GoBison
Reg: 01-22-06
07-27-06 02:21 AM - Post#21293    
    In response to Bison137

Based on the latest Basketball Travelers post this week (BU is looking for a home/away starting in Lewisburg in early Jan) - here's a guess at a possible schedule as of now:

Away Games (7): Albany, Yale, Cornell, Texas Tech, St. Joes, Xavier, and St Francis PA

Neutral Court (3): George Mason @ MCI Center, Pepsi Marist Classic: 1 - neutral Central Ark and 1 away (Marist) or neutral (NIU)

Home (4) - UNI, Wake Forest, Bracket Buster, TBD

This assumes the Villanova deferral to '07/'08 is true - and that the Penn State game goes away - and the Lions decide to contract with their preferred central PA rivalry, Lock Haven.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
07-27-06 02:36 AM - Post#21294    
    In response to GoBison

Quote:

This assumes the Villanova deferral to '07/'08 is true - and that the Penn State game goes away - and the Lions decide to contract with their preferred central PA rivalry, Lock Haven.

If Lock Haven doesn't work out for them, Juniata is a short bus ride over the mountain.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.181 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:59 AM