Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: The Joe Scott Era is Over        (Topic#5658)
AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: The Joe Scott Era is Over
03-22-07 06:26 PM - Post#33840    
    In response to Red n Blue

Vegas money is being placed on Burke or Johnson.

Forget the national search smoke screen.

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
03-22-07 06:54 PM - Post#33841    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Quote:

Vegas money is being placed on Burke or Johnson.

Forget the national search smoke screen.

If I was betting money, I'd say Johnson. I still think they ought to look at Dave Calloway at Monmouth. He's a NJ guy, he knows the Princeton offense, he's taken a team to the NCAAs, he has D-I coaching experience and I think he'd be likely to take the job.

Chuck 
Masters Student
Chuck
03-22-07 07:15 PM - Post#33842    

What does "knowing the Princeton offense" have to do with this decision? The idea that PU should only hire coaches willing to run the "system" is just plain silly. If PU hires another PU guy, because he will run the "system", you realy have to wonder what the powers at PU are thinking.

It's one thing for an Ivy school to hae a philosophy about the role of athletics, treatment of student-athletes, etc. It's another to have a dogmatic commitment to a style of offense. It limits their choices of who to hire as a coach and shrinks the available pool of recruits to an even smaller number than it already is (which is pretty damn small).

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
03-22-07 07:22 PM - Post#33843    
    In response to Chuck

Isn't Albert Einstein III available?

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
03-22-07 07:24 PM - Post#33844    
    In response to Chuck

Quote:

What does "knowing the Princeton offense" have to do with this decision? The idea that PU should only hire coaches willing to run the "system" is just plain silly. If PU hires another PU guy, because he will run the "system", you realy have to wonder what the powers at PU are thinking.

It's one thing for an Ivy school to hae a philosophy about the role of athletics, treatment of student-athletes, etc. It's another to have a dogmatic commitment to a style of offense. It limits their choices of who to hire as a coach and shrinks the available pool of recruits to an even smaller number than it already is (which is pretty damn small).

Chuck, I agree that Princeton would do better to throw the candidacy open so as to find the best coach, rather than the best coach running the Princeton offense. To that end, I have already suggested (on other threads) that they look at one of the D-II coaches--perhaps the guy at Bentley or Mike Leaf at Winona State. However, my sense is that Princeton is not ready to move away from the Princeton offense at this time. Right now the perception would be that the problem is Scott and not the Princeton offense-- particularly since it is run with success in other places. So it was on that basis that I suggested that Princeton should take a look at Dave Calloway, the Monmouth coach. If Princeton is willing to cast a wider net, I think they'd be wise to look for a successful D-II or D-III coach. It all depends on the constraints that Princeton chooses to place upon the hiring process.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
03-22-07 07:25 PM - Post#33845    

Tarkanian!

joe nassau 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-13-05
03-22-07 07:40 PM - Post#33846    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

Tarkanian would be perfect for Princeton. I can remember years ago at UNLV he was trying to recruit a 6-10 guy who was incarcerated in a youth detention facility in Ca. Seriously, why not an ex-pro guy. The Ivys sent van Breda Koff, Daly, and I guess you could count Carril so why not return the favor? Look at what Jeff Bzdelik has done at Air Force. I watched part of the Air Force- Depaul NIT game last night and the current Air Force team is no bigger than PU, although they seemed a step or so faster. Now according to ESPN, Bzdelik may be headed to Colorado and presumably a bigger paycheck. So if a mediocre pro coach like Bzdelik can do this well, why not someone like Stan van Gundy? I'm only half-kidding. Whoever it is, you need someone to come in and really re-evaluate the whole Princeton approach, like what do you do when you don't have a lot of good three-point shooters on the team?

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
03-22-07 07:58 PM - Post#33847    
    In response to joe nassau

They won't run the Princeton offense. They will run the Georgetown offense.

Dmon826 
Masters Student

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 01-15-06
03-22-07 08:28 PM - Post#33848    
    In response to Brian Martin

the present georgetown offense is simply the princeton offense + talent. currently gtown has a highly skilled post player (hibbert), a highly skilled high post player (green), and some great shooters (for example, wallace). and the offense allows these talented players tremendous flexibility to utilize those talents within a general pton offense construct. that said, on the princeton roster, there are no great post players, high post players, shooters, and we can all generally agree that the overall talent level is the lowest it's been there in years. that said, running the "georgetown" offense at princeton right now is pretty much impossible. it's a great long-term goal perhaps, but the talent needs to be there first.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

03-22-07 09:08 PM - Post#33849    
    In response to Dmon826

I've seen them about 5 times this year on TV. They spread the offense, but they don't look much like Princeton to me. Hibbert is no point center and Green plays a lot on the high post, but can pop out or post up low. I don't think it's all that similar to the classic PU offense we are use to. What's similar is the spacing and an occasional back door cut - but then one can say we play the PU offense as well if that's where the similarity stops. JT3 has adapted the PU philosophy to fit his talent and has modernized the approach to suit top D1 players temperments. He's done a great job down there.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-22-07 09:37 PM - Post#33850    

JTIII Is adaptable. When Georgetown played and upset Duke last year, they faced heavy overplay man-to-man pressure, so there were lots of backdoors. When teams sag back or play zone, on the other hand, Georgetown will look for post-ups and drives and even mid-range jumpers.

BTW, I've seen a couple of Air Force's NIT games (the blowout over Austin Peay and the squeaker over DePaul). Backdoor threats are constant and the spacing is wide, but they do a lot of one-on-one drives where the defense is to spread out to help. Some of those guys are really good at driving and reverse pivoting near the rim to turn it into almost a low-post play.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
03-22-07 09:56 PM - Post#33851    

You don't see many backcuts only because no one in their right mind plays man defense against Georgetown. Against man to man, you will see bounces passes off the dribble for dunks.

Thompson teaches the Princeton offense skills and reads, drills them until they figure it out, and then lets them play. That is why they are much better in March than they were in December. They figure it out themselves until it becomes natural to play that way.

When a Georgetown player makes a mistake due to indecision, Thompson is likely to call him over to the sideline and say, "Just play."

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
03-22-07 11:28 PM - Post#33852    

In that sense, it is as much John Wooden's UCLA high post offense as it is Carril's Princeton offense as it is Bob Knight's Army/Indiana/Texas Tech offense. Motion offense is motion offense is motion offense.

palestra38 
Professor

03-23-07 12:04 AM - Post#33853    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Yes it is, and it wins when it has more talent than the other guy.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
03-23-07 03:37 PM - Post#33854    
    In response to palestra38

Thompson himself says that the "stuff" they run is not much different than what other teams run. In today's Washington Post, Georgetown guard Jessie Sapp says this about Vanderbilt:
"They run pretty much the same stuff we run, it's just that they added a little flavor to theirs, where they have a lot of shooters. They run a lot of pitch-backs and shoot the ball."
The big difference between different versions of motion offense is how much of it the coach scripts. It seems to me that teams that run a lot of scripted plays tend to peak early, while the unscripted teams figure out the offense and each other as the season goes on.

palestra38 
Professor

03-23-07 04:26 PM - Post#33855    

Well, I agree with you certainly that teams that have more freedom to depart the script are more likely to win a second time they see a team. I still think, notwithstanding any "system" that talent wins. I know we've had this discussion before, but notwithstanding the Princeton (NY Times) mystique, Princeton has won the Ivies when it had more talent than Penn and vice versa. Actually, the only time that didn't play out that I can recall is Scott's first year, when Princeton clearly had more talent yet lost. There now appears to be a solid explanation for that.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
03-23-07 05:14 PM - Post#33856    

No argument there, except maybe to expand the definition of talent. Some players develop skills that make them better players than other guys with more raw talent. Some coaches inhibit talent by forcing players into a predetermined role.

Thompson has a record of taking good athletes and making them better players by developing their skills.

Scott's biggest error in 04-05 was to take away Will Venable's athletic advantage in individual matchups by sticking him into a position scripted for a spot-up shooter and zone defender.

palestra38 
Professor

03-23-07 05:57 PM - Post#33857    

No argument that JT III is a great coach...and also a great motivator. However, when you look at the talent on your 2004 team, with Venable, Wallace, Logan, Stephens and Greenman and freshmen Schaen, Schaeffer, Owings and Stittmatter...then to have Savage, Buffmire, Koncz and Conway come in the following year, it's amazing how the team tanked. At least it's amazing until you see how many players quit the team.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
03-23-07 06:13 PM - Post#33858    

I agree, but I just want to point out some of those guys were not nearly as good as freshmen as they later became through their own hard work to improve their skills.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

03-23-07 06:15 PM - Post#33859    

Of the guys you mentioned, the only ones who stopped playing basketball were Schaen and Schaeffer. The others just stopped playing as well as they had previously.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.357 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:09 PM