Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: New Coach Candidates        (Topic#5660)
Stripes 
Freshman
Stripes
Loc: Boston
Reg: 11-21-04
03-21-07 12:23 AM - Post#33870    

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Re: New Coach Candidates
03-21-07 12:25 AM - Post#33871    
    In response to Stripes

Why not JTIII? He's about as likely as Carril or Carmody.

Stripes 
Freshman
Stripes
Loc: Boston
03-21-07 12:26 AM - Post#33872    
    In response to Stripes

Actually, the best of all might be Rob Burke. Spent enough time as JTIII's assistant that he qualifies from a lineage perspective (for those to whom this matters) and could bring back the magic. Also, I think I remember hearing that he was a great recruiter.

Philsoc8 
Freshman

Reg: 12-23-05
03-21-07 12:48 AM - Post#33873    
    In response to Stripes

I second the nomination for Rob Burke. Carmody wasn't a Princeton alum so that shouldn't be a strike against Burke.

Redfish 
Masters Student
Redfish
Loc: under a bridge in Phoenix...
Reg: 11-26-04
03-21-07 02:09 AM - Post#33874    
    In response to Stripes

How about a higher profile version of Joe Scott: Matt Doherty!

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
03-21-07 02:38 AM - Post#33875    
    In response to Redfish

Is there a JTIV? I nominate him.

The Willow 
Masters Student

03-21-07 05:56 AM - Post#33876    
    In response to 10Q

Can I nominate myself? Even wanting Princeton to lose I bet I could do a better job.

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
03-21-07 12:45 PM - Post#33877    
    In response to The Willow

I am going to throw my hat in the ring for the Princeton head coaching job. While I have no actual experience, I have won three consecutive NCAA championships on my Playstation-2 in NCAA March Madness 2007.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

03-21-07 12:49 PM - Post#33878    
    In response to Red n Blue

Steve Merk?

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

03-21-07 01:44 PM - Post#33879    
    In response to Philsoc8

I think you nalied it. RB makes a lot of sense.

Tigers 

Reg: 01-11-05
03-21-07 01:50 PM - Post#33880    
    In response to Stripes

Johnson without a doubt.

Bill Lewis 
Senior

Reg: 12-23-04
03-21-07 02:07 PM - Post#33881    
    In response to Tigers

Richard Barron.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

03-21-07 02:09 PM - Post#33882    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Rob Burke may make sense from Princeton's view but does Princeton make sense from Burke's view?

If he's looking to coach at D1 at the highest level, there can be little argument that a few more years at G-town will serve him better than a few years of rebuilding at Princeton.

Plus, now that he's tasted the world of scholarships and big-time athletes, would he want to go back? It's not like he's a Princeton alum.

Additionally, Burke's recruiting prowess is all tied to JT3. It's not like he's one of those guys who goes from staff to staff bringing along blue-chippers.

Could be a good choice but I wouldn't leave Georgetown for Princeton under these circumstances.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
03-21-07 02:30 PM - Post#33883    
    In response to Howard Gensler

I disagree. Being an assistant at a big time school, even a successful one, pales in comparison to being a head coach at a D1 school - particularly one with as storied a past as Princeton. (Look at Miller; he left Connecticut for the head coaching job at a D3 school.)

Princeton's head coaching role is a much higher profile position nationally and regionally than Georgetown's assistant is.

Plus, it's not like you can do worse than the guy who preceded you at Princeton. Burke would be in "rescue" mode, and would be given plenty of slack given what he's inheriting.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
03-21-07 05:41 PM - Post#33884    
    In response to Bruno

Two guys I'd look at if I was Princeton:

Dave Calloway head coach at Monmouth (knows Princeton offense but has no Princeton lineage).

Mike Leaf, head coach at Winona State, a very successful D-II coach. No Princeton ties or experience with the Princeton offense that I know of so this option is pretty far "outside the box."

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

03-21-07 05:46 PM - Post#33885    

Who is Carnegie Mellon's head coach?

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
03-21-07 05:54 PM - Post#33886    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

Quote:

That would be Bill Wingen. His overall record in 17 seasons is 199-246. At Carnegie Mellow he has coached for 16 years and his record is 178-218. I don't think I'd look at him.

vince curran 
Freshman

Reg: 12-01-05
03-21-07 06:13 PM - Post#33887    

I did a Winona game for CSTV this year and spent about an hour with Coach Leaf. VERY unlikely he leaves Winona. Especially for Princeton. He is from Minnesota (Actually from Winona and loves it there). University of Minnesota? Now that might be another story.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-21-07 06:41 PM - Post#33888    

Quote:

Quote:

That would be Bill Wingen. His overall record in 17 seasons is 199-246. At Carnegie Mellow he has coached for 16 years and his record is 178-218. I don't think I'd look at him.

I think his name is Tony Wingren, he was a volunteer assistant at Brown in the 80s.

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
03-21-07 06:45 PM - Post#33889    
    In response to Old Bear

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think his name is Tony Wingren, he was a volunteer assistant at Brown in the 80s.

We'll split the difference-- Tony Wingen. You are correct that he was an Assistant at Brown from 1985-1986. You can read his bio, here- http://www.cmu.edu/athletic/basketball_men/basketball_men_coach.htm

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
03-21-07 07:17 PM - Post#33890    
    In response to vince curran

Quote:

I did a Winona game for CSTV this year and spent about an hour with Coach Leaf. VERY unlikely he leaves Winona. Especially for Princeton. He is from Minnesota (Actually from Winona and loves it there). University of Minnesota? Now that might be another story.

OK. Fair enough but it never hurts to ask. A D-2 coach who might be more likely to accept would be Jay Lawson at Bentley College. Lawson was a Dartmouth Assistant in 1984-85. His bio is here- http://www.bentley.edu/athletics/varsity_sports/m-basketball/coach.cfm Lawson might be a better candidate for the Harvard vacancy (rather than Princeton) given Bentley's location and the fact that one of his former players is apparently coaching at Harvard.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

03-21-07 08:12 PM - Post#33891    

Wasn't Sullivan from Bentley? Would not expect Harvard to go back to that well.

Acobj 

Reg: 05-21-06
03-22-07 01:40 AM - Post#33892    

Bill Taylor,Lehigh realistic and understands Ivy Recruiting.May even understand Walters. Glen Miller, Penn. After all he has shown Bedouin instincts and Princeton can pay more than Penn so Miller can again be a rebuilder. Jadwin packed, Miller coat off screaming and the "Princeton Offense" history. The coach at Williams who Brown passed up. From little Acorns do great teams grow and they are more Princeton oriented at Williams. Jim Calhoun. If the pay is great he would pasture out while incurring the eternal gratitude of a now worn and quite ordinary Princeton program. Would save Walters from having to hire a young coach who would be vigorous, snappy, his own man and demanding of support from the Athletic and Admisssions arenas. Frank Sullivan. He has a real basketball facillity and people who give a damn whether you play on wood not ice.He is skilled, a good recruiter and understands the Ivy League. Walters stuns the night talk shows with this one and Sullivan takes Princeton to a title and an NCAA win while Harvard agonizes and continues to make excuses for a non program Ah Gary stick that one in Scalise's ear. Pete Carril for two years solely to restore credibility, bring the offense back for the purists and create the aroma of good cigars.
And the winner is Pat Summit. Walters shows the world he is not a crusty,snobish veteran of another age while being absolutely politically correct, something the old line Tigers take like a cholonoscapy. Walters then resigns and Scott returns as AD. Scott will be played in the TV version by Mark Wahlberg and Jack Nicholson agrees to a one time role as Walters.
OK--so its Doug Gottlieb who knows everything better than any present coach.

Big R&B Truth 
Masters Student
Big R&B Truth
Loc: Back Waters of New Englan...
03-22-07 02:53 AM - Post#33893    
    In response to Acobj

Is Kareem still available or is he still coaching Native Americans?

Old Bear 
Postdoc

03-22-07 05:52 PM - Post#33894    
    In response to Big R&B Truth

Jim Herrick is available, his son could join the faculty.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

A national search...
03-22-07 10:01 PM - Post#33895    
    In response to Old Bear

Having recently gone through the posturing of a coaching search at Penn I'm curious what is actually going on at Princeton. Suffice it to say I believe half of what I hear and less of what I read.

If Sydney Johnson is really a favorite, one can reasonably assume that there has been some discussion between Walters and JT3. This, however, does not go with the notion of Princeton holding a national search as Walters stated.

A national search means weeding through 200+ resumes, holding interviews, second interviews, etc. You'll have a new coach in late-April/May. If you hold a national search, you can't end up with Sydney Johnson - a young, second assistant with no head coaching experience. Sure, we've all seen this process where a search merely takes everyone back to the beginning and the standard-issue quote, "We talked with all the best people interested and it made us realize that Sydney was the best choice, yadda yadda yadda," but everyione knows at that point the fix was in.

If Sydney's the guy, you give Sydney the job without wasting a lot of people's time and money.

Now, if the JT3s are pushing Johnson (or Burke) and you don't pick one of them and go outside the family, you are unequivocally cutting the ties and possibly damaging relations with JT3, Mooney, Carmody, etc.

It's no secret that there was a fair amount of unhappiness at Penn, right or wrong, when Bilsky picked Miller over O'Hanlon, Donahue, Duke, etc., and others with Penn/Dunphy connections. It's a tough choice for an AD to make, weighing what's safe, what's politically acceptable and what may have the biggest payoff.

Since it would be really bad form to talk to Johnson or Burke while Georgetown is still playing, it is possible that Walters will use the next week or two for the "national" part of his search (see if some surprise gem throws his hat in) then narrow his list down to a few finalists (including someone from Georgetown). But tradition says that when you go "national" you don't end up with an in-house favorite. The longer this goes on after Georgetown is eliminated or wins it all, the less likely the Tigers end up with Johnson or Burke (or Mooney, Henderson, etc.).

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Re: A national search...
03-23-07 01:51 AM - Post#33896    

I agree with most of this, particularly the part about using the time that's available to "nationalize" the search, see if a gem falls into their laps. But otherwise, I'd expect one of the family to already be loaded, with the announcement pending G'town's getting bounced from the NCAA's.

(I'm torn on what to root for - I have G'town winning it all in my pool, so I want them to stay. Then again, if they lose, it will expedite the hiring of Johnson or Burke and take the focus off of Robinson more quickly.)
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

stevemerk 
goober

Reg: 02-06-07
03-23-07 03:01 PM - Post#33897    

Thanks for bringing up my name! They would never consider me but I will say this...no matter who they hire, I will have much more experience...25 years. I have coaching experience at Roselle Catholic HS, Paterson Catholic HS, St.Benedict's Prep and Bishop Gorman HS. On the college level at Rutgers University and on the pro level with the United States Basketball League, CBA and Atlantic Basketball Association.

And the real "kicker" is that I work on campus!!! When I first came to Princeton, I sent my resume to Scott and Walters telling them that I would be willing to volunteer my services...I never ever got an acknowlegment letter in return.

seas2k4 
Junior

03-23-07 03:13 PM - Post#33898    
    In response to stevemerk

How about Dave Duke? Or Gil Jackson?

Both with obvious Ivy credentials, both with knowledge of the Princeton offense...

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.205 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:46 PM