Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: New Coach Candidates        (Topic#5660)
Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
Re: New Coach Candidates
03-21-07 07:17 PM - Post#33890    
    In response to vince curran

Quote:

I did a Winona game for CSTV this year and spent about an hour with Coach Leaf. VERY unlikely he leaves Winona. Especially for Princeton. He is from Minnesota (Actually from Winona and loves it there). University of Minnesota? Now that might be another story.

OK. Fair enough but it never hurts to ask. A D-2 coach who might be more likely to accept would be Jay Lawson at Bentley College. Lawson was a Dartmouth Assistant in 1984-85. His bio is here- http://www.bentley.edu/athletics/varsity_sports/m-basketball/coach.cfm Lawson might be a better candidate for the Harvard vacancy (rather than Princeton) given Bentley's location and the fact that one of his former players is apparently coaching at Harvard.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
03-21-07 08:12 PM - Post#33891    
    In response to Red n Blue

Wasn't Sullivan from Bentley? Would not expect Harvard to go back to that well.

Acobj 

Reg: 05-21-06
03-22-07 01:40 AM - Post#33892    
    In response to Red n Blue

Bill Taylor,Lehigh realistic and understands Ivy Recruiting.May even understand Walters. Glen Miller, Penn. After all he has shown Bedouin instincts and Princeton can pay more than Penn so Miller can again be a rebuilder. Jadwin packed, Miller coat off screaming and the "Princeton Offense" history. The coach at Williams who Brown passed up. From little Acorns do great teams grow and they are more Princeton oriented at Williams. Jim Calhoun. If the pay is great he would pasture out while incurring the eternal gratitude of a now worn and quite ordinary Princeton program. Would save Walters from having to hire a young coach who would be vigorous, snappy, his own man and demanding of support from the Athletic and Admisssions arenas. Frank Sullivan. He has a real basketball facillity and people who give a damn whether you play on wood not ice.He is skilled, a good recruiter and understands the Ivy League. Walters stuns the night talk shows with this one and Sullivan takes Princeton to a title and an NCAA win while Harvard agonizes and continues to make excuses for a non program Ah Gary stick that one in Scalise's ear. Pete Carril for two years solely to restore credibility, bring the offense back for the purists and create the aroma of good cigars.
And the winner is Pat Summit. Walters shows the world he is not a crusty,snobish veteran of another age while being absolutely politically correct, something the old line Tigers take like a cholonoscapy. Walters then resigns and Scott returns as AD. Scott will be played in the TV version by Mark Wahlberg and Jack Nicholson agrees to a one time role as Walters.
OK--so its Doug Gottlieb who knows everything better than any present coach.

Big R&B Truth 
Masters Student
Big R&B Truth
Loc: Back Waters of New Englan...
Reg: 11-23-04
03-22-07 02:53 AM - Post#33893    
    In response to Acobj

Is Kareem still available or is he still coaching Native Americans?

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-22-07 05:52 PM - Post#33894    
    In response to Big R&B Truth

Jim Herrick is available, his son could join the faculty.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

A national search...
03-22-07 10:01 PM - Post#33895    
    In response to Old Bear

Having recently gone through the posturing of a coaching search at Penn I'm curious what is actually going on at Princeton. Suffice it to say I believe half of what I hear and less of what I read.

If Sydney Johnson is really a favorite, one can reasonably assume that there has been some discussion between Walters and JT3. This, however, does not go with the notion of Princeton holding a national search as Walters stated.

A national search means weeding through 200+ resumes, holding interviews, second interviews, etc. You'll have a new coach in late-April/May. If you hold a national search, you can't end up with Sydney Johnson - a young, second assistant with no head coaching experience. Sure, we've all seen this process where a search merely takes everyone back to the beginning and the standard-issue quote, "We talked with all the best people interested and it made us realize that Sydney was the best choice, yadda yadda yadda," but everyione knows at that point the fix was in.

If Sydney's the guy, you give Sydney the job without wasting a lot of people's time and money.

Now, if the JT3s are pushing Johnson (or Burke) and you don't pick one of them and go outside the family, you are unequivocally cutting the ties and possibly damaging relations with JT3, Mooney, Carmody, etc.

It's no secret that there was a fair amount of unhappiness at Penn, right or wrong, when Bilsky picked Miller over O'Hanlon, Donahue, Duke, etc., and others with Penn/Dunphy connections. It's a tough choice for an AD to make, weighing what's safe, what's politically acceptable and what may have the biggest payoff.

Since it would be really bad form to talk to Johnson or Burke while Georgetown is still playing, it is possible that Walters will use the next week or two for the "national" part of his search (see if some surprise gem throws his hat in) then narrow his list down to a few finalists (including someone from Georgetown). But tradition says that when you go "national" you don't end up with an in-house favorite. The longer this goes on after Georgetown is eliminated or wins it all, the less likely the Tigers end up with Johnson or Burke (or Mooney, Henderson, etc.).

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Re: A national search...
03-23-07 01:51 AM - Post#33896    
    In response to Howard Gensler

I agree with most of this, particularly the part about using the time that's available to "nationalize" the search, see if a gem falls into their laps. But otherwise, I'd expect one of the family to already be loaded, with the announcement pending G'town's getting bounced from the NCAA's.

(I'm torn on what to root for - I have G'town winning it all in my pool, so I want them to stay. Then again, if they lose, it will expedite the hiring of Johnson or Burke and take the focus off of Robinson more quickly.)
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

stevemerk 
goober

Reg: 02-06-07
03-23-07 03:01 PM - Post#33897    
    In response to Howard Gensler

Thanks for bringing up my name! They would never consider me but I will say this...no matter who they hire, I will have much more experience...25 years. I have coaching experience at Roselle Catholic HS, Paterson Catholic HS, St.Benedict's Prep and Bishop Gorman HS. On the college level at Rutgers University and on the pro level with the United States Basketball League, CBA and Atlantic Basketball Association.

And the real "kicker" is that I work on campus!!! When I first came to Princeton, I sent my resume to Scott and Walters telling them that I would be willing to volunteer my services...I never ever got an acknowlegment letter in return.

seas2k4 
Junior

03-23-07 03:13 PM - Post#33898    
    In response to stevemerk

How about Dave Duke? Or Gil Jackson?

Both with obvious Ivy credentials, both with knowledge of the Princeton offense...

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.424 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:09 AM