Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: lost players, found...        (Topic#5669)
roger 

Reg: 12-12-04
03-22-07 04:02 AM - Post#33950    

So what's the status of the players who dropped out?
I believe that Harrison Schaen is still on campus...would he qualify as a junior or senior and would he be eligible to play? And what about Okafor and Eckeruo? Good recruits, I'd say.

roger 

Reg: 12-12-04
Re: lost players, found...
03-22-07 04:28 AM - Post#33951    
    In response to roger

If Harrison Schaen would play...could play...that would be pretty exciting. What a story that would be.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
Reg: 11-21-04
03-22-07 03:11 PM - Post#33952    
    In response to roger

I would not count on any of them coming back, but it is at least possible under a new coach.

Schaen has one year of eligibility. Okafor and Kestler would have three years under NCAA rules, but only four more semesters on campus under Princeton rules. There are a few other former recruits still on campus as well.

joe nassau 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-13-05
03-22-07 03:36 PM - Post#33953    
    In response to Brian Martin

I remember Harrison Schaen throwing down an alley-oop dunk his freshman year (probably the only one in recent PU history), and that Alex Okafor had a nasty hitch in his shot, but both were more athletic than they were given credit for. It would be a good pr thing for the program too, recovering two of the three African-American players that quit the team. And what about that Wilson guy? You could make a decent team out of the players that quit...

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-26-07 01:02 PM - Post#33954    
    In response to joe nassau

According to the Prince article of 3/26, Noah Levine is thinking about asking to try out next year.

palestra38 
Professor

03-26-07 01:37 PM - Post#33955    
    In response to sparman

That article is most notable for the bile expressed by Judson Wallace. You have to give him credit for keeping it bottled up so long...when he had this inside:

"Knowing the type of person he is," Wallace added, "I can easily see how Joe Scott could talk and talk about having guts and character and always be talking down to people, then run like a scared child from the pressure of a tough situation."

Wow....but I think most people will agree that Wallace and the other seniors from Scott's first Princeton team have a reason to feel betrayed and angry.

mmp629 
Junior
mmp629
Reg: 11-22-04
03-26-07 02:59 PM - Post#33956    
    In response to palestra38

I don't blame Judson at all. My god, the arrogance of Scott to behave as if he had to "rebuild" a program that won the Ivy championship. And I really don't care much about Bob Scrabis's opinion of Joe as a player 20 years ago...

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
03-26-07 03:33 PM - Post#33957    
    In response to mmp629

We all knew from previous quotations that Judson was keeping something in. His statements confirm the obvious. Also telling are the statements of Luke Owings, and by extrapolation, those of Max Schaeffer regarding JTIII.

mmp629 
Junior
mmp629
03-26-07 04:04 PM - Post#33958    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

I have to think that there is a bit of politics in some of the players' responses. The team finishes 2-12 in the Ivy league and Koncz is giving Scott a great review??

The Willow 
Masters Student

03-26-07 04:19 PM - Post#33959    
    In response to palestra38

Quote:

"Knowing the type of person he is," Wallace added, "I can easily see how Joe Scott could talk and talk about having guts and character and always be talking down to people, then run like a scared child from the pressure of a tough situation."

Wow. I think I just earned a little admiration for Judson Wallace.

Nope. Still hate him. But I always felt bad for him his senior year.

Anonymous 

03-26-07 05:45 PM - Post#33960    
    In response to mmp629

Why are we lauding Wallace? The guy has said for three years he doesn't want to talk about it but now he kicks Scott when he is down? Pretty cowardly from Wallace if you ask me. I'm not saying Wallace isn't correct (I certainly don't know whether he is or not), but if you're going to say what he said, say it when after your senior season, not wait a while so you can say it when there are no repercussions.

mmp629 
Junior
mmp629
03-26-07 06:01 PM - Post#33961    
    In response to

Joe Scott is down? Joe Scott has a new job in Denver. the program he coached into the Ivy cellar is "down."

I think Wallace had to be careful what he said, as he had teammates who were still playing under Scott and who might have paid a price for his frankness.

Anonymous 

03-26-07 06:04 PM - Post#33962    
    In response to mmp629

Joe Scott has a new job in Denver because the Denver athletic administration is moronic, to say the least. Seeing what happened when Joe Scott touched his alma mater, seeing him basically pull a Baltimore Colts with the way he left his team (without announcing beforehand) and hearing what kind of ego he has and how much of a hit it must have taken for him to leave PU, tacitly admitting failure, and joining a joke of a school, shows me that he's down even though he is still employed.

mmp629 
Junior
mmp629
03-26-07 06:29 PM - Post#33963    
    In response to

I'm guessing by your screen name that you are a penn fan (duh). Trust me - after watching this guy abuse players for about 20 games or so, I have not one iota of sympathy for him. Mine is all saved for the players and fans.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-26-07 08:22 PM - Post#33964    
    In response to

I think Wallace is in the same situation faced by many players - theoretically it may sound principled, but it's not realistic, to ask a 21 year-old to start publicly criticizing a coach while he's still at school or shortly thereafter. Even when he had graduated, many of his friends were still on the team and I don't think he could have been very specific without creating (or thinking he was creating) problems for them, which I suspect they asked him not to do so their efforts to remain in good standing on the team were not in vain. We all know that the concept of face to face criticism, while theoretically the right approach, doesn't always work so well in supposedly professional work environments, too - it's a fact of life.

IMO it would have been better for Wallace not to speak so openly even now, because it doesn't accomplish much. The coach is gone. It's rarely a good idea to publicly burn bridges, especially gratuitously. It would have been one thing for him to communicate opinions quietly with the AD if the issue of whether to keep the coach were still at the fore. I don't begrudge him his opinions at all, nor do I necessarily disagree (speaking as observer, obviously no first hand knowledge), just the circumstances of expressing them.

Tigers 

Reg: 01-11-05
03-27-07 04:53 PM - Post#33965    
    In response to The Willow

I, for one am glad some of these remarks from former players are now surfacing. It is what many of us thought all along.
Too many players left the team for there not be a problem with Scott.
These guys were not giving 100%, if they were, we are really short on talent.

Philsoc8 
Freshman

Reg: 12-23-05
03-28-07 11:57 AM - Post#33966    
    In response to Tigers

Quote:

I, for one am glad some of these remarks from former players are now surfacing. It is what many of us thought all along.
Too many players left the team for there not be a problem with Scott.
These guys were not giving 100%, if they were, we are really short on talent.

I think they were giving 100%, but I also think we are short on talent. The one thing that everyone can agree on is that Scott has been a terrible recruiter, both directly and, by virtue of his demeanor with his team, indirectly.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

03-28-07 12:14 PM - Post#33967    
    In response to Philsoc8

And again, the biggest factor leading to poor recruiting is the losing.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.234 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:15 AM