Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Prince: Sydney Johnson offered head coaching position        (Topic#5786)
Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Reg: 11-21-04
04-19-07 02:22 AM - Post#34730    

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2007/04/18/news/18136.shtml

Stripes 
Freshman
Stripes
Loc: Boston
Re: Prince: Sydney Johnson offered head coaching position
04-19-07 02:50 AM - Post#34731    
    In response to Stuart Suss

A bit ironic to see this post less than an hour after the i95ballerz announcement of Peterson going to Iowa. I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Johnson had a week to recruit as the new Iowa coach did.

That said, if he accepts I think it is a bold choice. Key will be who is on the bench with him, I think. I wonder how much Armond likes the pro gig....

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

04-19-07 03:00 AM - Post#34732    
    In response to Stripes

I don't really think the Princeton situation was much of a factor. If a kid can play in the big 10 over the ivy league, he's going to.

Colorado Tiger 
Sophomore

Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorad...
Reg: 02-12-05
04-19-07 03:06 AM - Post#34733    

Wow! If true, Walters stays "in the family" with one of the most respected, well-liked Tiger cagers in recent decades whose playing career spanned the Carril/Carmody transition and whose coaching experience has been solely under the tutelige of Thompson. The Georgetown website says his duties there were to "assist in recruiting, game prep and player development", all good preps for becoming a head coach.

Sydney has a tough job ahead, but I think he will be very well-received and supported by the Tiger faithful. What a great opportunity for an impressive young man.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

04-19-07 03:07 AM - Post#34734    
    In response to Colorado Tiger

Just wondering what other areas of assistant coaching there are, other than recruiting, game prep, and player development?

Colorado Tiger 
Sophomore

04-19-07 03:11 AM - Post#34735    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

In the football world, other duties can include breaking down film, running scout for either offense or defense, and individual position coaching that does not involve game planning. Not sure if the basketball world has similar duties.

Colorado Tiger 
Sophomore

04-19-07 03:14 AM - Post#34736    
    In response to Stripes

My understanding is that his commitment to Iowa is only verbal at this time and he has until Monday to sign. Maybe Johnson still has time to help him see the light. :-)

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

04-19-07 03:16 AM - Post#34737    

Pretty sure all of those fall under "game prep" and "player development".

Colorado Tiger 
Sophomore

04-19-07 03:52 AM - Post#34738    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

OK. I'll take your word for it. Not sure I get the point you're trying to make.

Quakers1 
Sophomore

04-19-07 04:21 AM - Post#34739    

I find it hard to believe that Johnson will be making a lot more at Princeton thn he was at Georgetown.

Colorado Tiger 
Sophomore

04-19-07 05:01 AM - Post#34740    
    In response to Quakers1

Really? I have no idea what the coach at Princeton makes, but JT3 was reported to be making in the mid 300s (extremely low for a coach in his conference and of his caliber). I assume from that number that SJ (as a second or third assistant behind Burke) made in the 80K to 125K range. Surely, Princeton can beat that.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

04-19-07 09:54 AM - Post#34741    

I'm not sure what the rules are today, but I think Sydney is the 3rd asst at GT. The Ivies don't pay 3rd assts and it used to be the case that no teams were allowed to. That doesn't mean you can't earn a living between the summer camps on campus and other school related work.

One asst from GT took the Binghamton job. Then there is Burke. Both were pretty senior guys.

Best guess is that this not only is a done deal, but that it's been in the works from the day the season ended for PU. It's consistent with everything that has been circulating for weeks. Some people were saying Johnson. I thought probably Burke, but there was a sense Burke may be in a position to land a bigger D1 job down the road and that this wasn't right for him. Those guys appear to have been right.

Johnson was a terrific player and is supposed a great young man.

Anonymous 

at gtown....
04-19-07 10:55 AM - Post#34742    

johnson specialized working with the guards i believe, and was also a recruiter. he also broke down film and helped in game planning.

intelligent dude that i think is going to be a great head coach when he decides to take that leap.

writing for hoyareport.com, i have always been impressed with the guy. the hoya nation actually hopes he doesn't go...hahahahaah

have no idea what his feelings are on coaching @ his alma mater.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
04-19-07 11:41 AM - Post#34743    

Doesn't it seem likley Peterson was notified of this possibility a while ago? He may have decided he would rather be with a coach with a more established history.

If he changes his mind, that's great, IMO but it's not worth worrying over one player. We want players who want to come to PU. I imagine Johnson can fill up the recruiting pipeline quickly enough based on his experience and contacts developed at Georgetown.

As for always taking a Big 10 opportunity over Ivy League, Iowa isn't Indiana, Ohio State or Michigan State, and we've seen other kids turn down Big League roster spots to come to the Ivies. Not always, but it happens.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
04-19-07 11:49 AM - Post#34744    
    In response to sparman

This all assumes that Syd accepts the job. Can anyone imagine that he won't?

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

04-19-07 12:02 PM - Post#34745    
    In response to 10Q

Or it assumes he already has and did so a while ago.

Philsoc8 
Freshman

Reg: 12-23-05
04-19-07 12:16 PM - Post#34746    
    In response to AsiaSunset

I think this is a great move by Princeton. Anyone who was a three-year captain, in a program where being captain has always had real meaning, certainly has the intangibles necessary to be a great coach, regardless of years of coaching experience. I also think Sydney's association with Gtown and JTIII will be a good thing, both in terms of coaching philosophy and recruiting.

Bill Lewis 
Senior

Reg: 12-23-04
04-19-07 12:16 PM - Post#34747    
    In response to AsiaSunset

If Sydney doesn't accept the job and if I were president of Princeton, I would ask Gary Walters - "When would you like to announce your retirement, this week or next?"

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.779 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:32 PM