Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: SJ's press conference        (Topic#5804)
Colorado Tiger 
Sophomore

Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorad...
Reg: 02-12-05
04-24-07 01:30 AM - Post#34888    

I am curious to hear people's thoughts on Johnson's press conference. I was particularly surprised to hear him pay such homage to Joe Scott. It seemed genuine and very personal.

I was also curious to hear him talk about being "desparate" to get to player workouts and about how he would focus on the characeter of the program and his confidence that winning would follow. Both reminded me of Thompson.

It may be stating the obvious, but it would appear that in SJ we are getting the best that Princeton has to offer and possibly the best available to Princeton. . . a loyal disciple of the program who understands its history, people, and purpose . . . and a strong, albeit young, leader who will perhaps combine Scott's passion and discipline with Thompson's compassion and creativity.

As stated elsewhere, the reward could very well be worth the risk.

stevemerk 
goober

Reg: 02-06-07
Re: SJ's press conference
04-24-07 11:54 AM - Post#34889    
    In response to Colorado Tiger

If he is the best Princeton has to offer, he could only praise Joe Scott, a former player at Princeton and the guy he is replacing...Princeton family.

As a new and inexperienced coach, it will take much preparation for his first season so I am sure thats why he is "desperate" to get to player workouts. Of course, he will be excited and eager about his first head coaching position. Sidney Johnson will have to think about the how’s and why’s of everything he will do as a coach. It is important as he gets started in coaching to develop a philosophy. Being a great floor leader as a player is a great foundation for being a leader off the floor, but building upon that foundation will take time.

I am sure he will incorporate JTIIIs style of running the Princeton so-called "system" providing he has the talent to do so. He has to get away from Joe Scott's inflexibility regarding the offense. Dean Smith was once asked about his success as a college coach and his response was, "surround yourself with good people", meaning good assistants. If Sidney Johnson does that, I am sure he will succeed.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
04-24-07 12:43 PM - Post#34890    
    In response to stevemerk

I would imagine that JT3 could still be a good mentor. They aren't at rival schools, and one would have to hope that JT3 still wants to see Princeton (as well as his former assistant) succeed.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

04-24-07 02:50 PM - Post#34891    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

A mentor can only do so much. They can't recruit for you and can't be at practice with you and can't make snap game decisions for you. Coaches have to succeed on their own. Joe Scott had the Best Princeton mentor of all (Carril) and failed. Coach K has also mentored a host of unsuccessful coaches.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
04-24-07 05:00 PM - Post#34892    
    In response to Colorado Tiger

One of the more interesting things he said in the interview on pbn was that he was looking to incorporate some of the influences he got playing in Europe and specifically mentioned pick and roll plays, which has not been a feature of Princeton offenses in the past for reasons that Carril outlined in his book. So clearly he has his own ideas, and is not an ideologue like Scott.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
04-24-07 05:23 PM - Post#34893    
    In response to umbrellaman

Pick and roll plays did show up in Georgetown this season, particularly as an option late in the shot clock.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
04-25-07 12:20 AM - Post#34894    
    In response to Brian Martin

Thanks Brian. I didn't get to watch Georgetown as much as I would have liked. Johnson did mention that JTIII did go with some of his ideas - perhaps that was one of them. Still, I do recall Carril writing that he preferred the dribble screen over the screen and roll. Either way, it seems to be an indication of Johnson's willingness to embrace a less unorthodox approach.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.273 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:49 PM