Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: High Water Mark For The 'System'?        (Topic#691)
Anonymous 

02-12-05 05:30 PM - Post#4048    

Watching PU's dramatic implosion recently makes one wonder whether the effectiveness and popularity of Carril's 'system' peaked with last season.

The 2004 saw PU, NCState and AirForce all make the NCAA tournament. PU and NCState will almost certainly not make it this year and Air Force seems unlikely unless they can win their tournament. The other notable 'system' school is Northwestern and they're mired in a pretty mediocre year and have no realistic shot. I suppose that Georgetown might be considered to play some distant version of the classic system (pretty remote) and they have a good shot at making the tourney.

Nonetheless, you have to wonder if the biggest advantage of playing classic Peteyball, its uniqueness, is no longer such an advantage as other teams have learned how to defense it.

Could it be that the future holds a few fewer glowing articles about the 'system' and its impact on college basketball? We'll see...but, if I had to guess they'll be fewer schools thinking that any 'system' can correct more fundamental problems that struggling programs have.

Anonymous 

Re: High Water Mark For The 'System'?
02-12-05 06:17 PM - Post#4049    
    In response to

I think you may be overstating its impending death - a bit like the skeptics of the Force in Star Wars. But in the nine years have passed since Pete actually ran the system, events have happened to make it less effective.

1.) I think basketball fundamental have fallen rather than improved as players are more interested in the play of the day ESPN highlights than developing a solid game. Ie. fewer potential young Jedi’s out there.

2.) More people are making use of the system – because it keeps games close and if you cannot get the blue chip talent, then you need to have a system that lets your team compete – at least keep it close. PU, AirForce, Northwestern, LIU (?) are all in that camp. NC State just has a hard time given all the great schools in that conference. Fewer players – spread out over more schools – no one school has a team as good as the top Tiger teams of the past 15 years. PU is still looking for a replacement for Muller and Goodrich.

3.) With more schools running the offense – and all the press – schools outside the Ivies have begun to scheme against the system. Given Fran’s winning record over PU, he probably runs a secret class on how to destroy the system.

4.) As with paisley, bell bottoms and big hair. The system will go out of fashion for many and in 10-20 years someone, after having a vision of Pete, will adopt the system. Find the 5-8 kids that will actually run the offence and it will be new again. It will have some success – people will fall in love with it again …

Personally, I wonder why John Chaney’s system does not get more disciples. He has had far more success than Princeton.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.359 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:48 AM