Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Princeton to the NIT over Cornell?        (Topic#922)
CornellUFan 

Reg: 12-12-04
03-09-05 01:10 AM - Post#5845    

The CSTV crew is discussing the potential of Princeton making the NIT. If Princeton were to get an invite over Cornell, it would be downright shameful.

Cornell was clearly the better team this year. Cornell finished with a better Ivy League record and SWEPT the Tigers.

Sure Cornell struggled earlier this season. But this was to be expected as the Big Red had three freshmen guards (Khaliq Gant, Jason Canady and Will Scott) playing major roles in the rotation and Juco transfer Ryan Rourke also still meshing with the team.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Re: Princeton to the NIT over Cornell?
03-09-05 01:25 AM - Post#5846    
    In response to CornellUFan

None of the non-Ps would have overall records of .500 or better. I think that's the minimum that's required for NIT consideration.

PU has a few nice wins and a "name", which I guess is enough for some. But really--a 16-12 overall record (15-12 in Division I), in a 4 way tie for 3rd, in a conference that doesn't have a fantastic RPI.....

If you would flip the name of the 4 teams that would be tied for 3rd, it's hard to really justify that other non-Princeton team making the NIT. I think the Princeton "name" and legacy are largely driving this conversation.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
03-09-05 02:38 AM - Post#5847    

Cornell is 13-14. Princeton is 15-12. Why on earth would a 13-14 team get any sort of postseason bid?

Anonymous 

03-09-05 03:42 AM - Post#5848    
    In response to pennhoops

12-14 in D-1, I think. I think its a moot question...only place PU should be going is back to class. Their play since they came back from winter break has been so mediocre its hard to imagine even the NIT giving them serious consideration.

Anonymous 

03-09-05 11:58 AM - Post#5849    
    In response to

Doesn't say much for Penn's prospects since they needed OT to put away such a mediocre side at home and were played close yesterday does it Chuck?

Anonymous 

03-09-05 01:12 PM - Post#5850    

Welcome back, BRF.

Anonymous 

03-09-05 01:23 PM - Post#5851    
    In response to

Nope, it sure doesn't. Much to the irritation of my fellow Penn fans I've never been very enthused about Penn's prospects in the tournament. It's a gritty team that finds a way to win. But, truth is against a Top 20 type team they're likely to find it hard to get a whole lot of points inside and they haven't shown very consistent or good outside shooting. I think they can rebound with most teams they'll face and play good defense...but, scoring points is going to be a challenge unless they play a team that really likes to score and doesn't play much D. If so, Penn may give them a run...

All that said, I do think that if the pieces fall into place the next two years could be very exciting for Penn. The sophomores are very talented and will get better, stronger more experienced. If there's a PG lurking somewhere out there and a really good shooting wing...watch out. Penn's going to have tremendous front court strength and only needs someone who can really control the ball and the offense and some consistent outside shooting to be a serious D-1 team. We'll see how that works out...

BTW, condolences on PU's season. I love beating you guys, but watching what happened this season wasn't really any fun. Something's wrong that I don't understand...

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
03-09-05 04:28 PM - Post#5852    
    In response to

Kind of reminds me of PU's NCAA prospects last year, when they got handled at home and had to go OT to win at the Palestra.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-09-05 04:42 PM - Post#5853    
    In response to

Agreed, but I was shocked when reading the media accounts today, particularly from the Princeton side.

Majority of the accounts seemed to think this game was all about Princeton having a good shot at making the NITs.

Since when does a team that goes 7-7 in the Ivies (ranked 18th in the RPI), merit NIT consideration?

PU would have finished ahead of only 2 Ivy squads--they should be rewarded with an NIT appearance? Good grief--this isn't the Big 12 or Big East we're talking about here.

Quote:

12-14 in D-1, I think. I think its a moot question...only place PU should be going is back to class. Their play since they came back from winter break has been so mediocre its hard to imagine even the NIT giving them serious consideration.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
03-09-05 04:52 PM - Post#5854    
    In response to Ancient Quaker

Heck, the nationally-ranked media darling'98 Princeton team had to go to OT in a meaningless final regular season game to beat Penn that year.

CUF Police 

Reg: 03-27-05
03-27-05 03:01 AM - Post#5855    

Cornell wasn't NIT-eligible, mensa.

Administrator 
Junior
Administrator
Reg: 11-08-04
03-27-05 03:28 AM - Post#5856    
    In response to CUF Police

Okay, that's enough. The two of you have made this board unreadable.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.361 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:24 AM