Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Can Cornell Win the League Next Year?        (Topic#940)
CornellUFan 

Reg: 12-12-04
03-09-05 09:57 PM - Post#6004    

I see the only three true contenders next year as Penn, Cornell and Harvard.

There is no doubt that Penn is loaded next year with talent. They are the easy frontrunner for a championship in ’06. You’d have to be a fool not to pick them as league champions. Just as Princeton was the heavy favorite in ’05. However, even with stars Ibrahim Jaaber and Steve Danley returning and supporting cast members Mark Zoller, Ryan Petinilla, Eric Osmundson, and David Whitehurst—the heart and soul of this team for the last two years, and arguably last three years leaves the program. Gone is Tim Begley. He was the glue that kept the machine parts together.

Harvard has a powerful frontcourt duo of Stehle and Cusworth back. But the Crimson have huge gaping holes in all three perimeter positions, without obvious replacements.

Cornell on the other hand has very obvious replacements for Cody Toppert and Eric Taylor. And the Big Red may be even better without Toppert and Taylor, just as they were without Barnes.

Penn94 
PhD Student

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Can Cornell Win the League Next Year?
03-09-05 10:16 PM - Post#6005    
    In response to CornellUFan

Hey BRF.....Cornell had its best season in a while when you were banished. I think the answer to your question "Can Cornell Win the League Next Year" is a hearty "Yes, only if you disappear again".

Anonymous 

03-09-05 10:24 PM - Post#6006    

No

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
03-09-05 11:49 PM - Post#6007    
    In response to

Yes. Good idea to count Princeton out of next year's race before this year is even over. How many times have either Cornell or Harvard, much less both of them, finished ahead of Princeton? I'm sure it hasn't happened much. Look for the Big Red Machine to come in 4th or 5th.

CUJacob 
Senior

Reg: 12-05-04
03-10-05 02:46 AM - Post#6008    

Its possible. It is very difficult to predict how teams will respond to losing guys. Penn may or may not miss Begley next year. Cornell may or may not miss Taylor and Toppert, and so on.

The main thing Cornell needs to do is show up for every game. It is interesting to note that Cornell went just 2-4 on the first day of an Ivy back-2-back, and 5-1 on the second day, the only loss being @penn. Cornell simply mailed in several friday night games. This team needs to improve its mental toughness. All that said, if it turns out Penn does lose its way a bit without Begley (as I said, its certainly possible they won't miss a beat so don't jump on me too hard, penn fans), Cornell will have the talent to challenge. I don't have to guts to predict Cornell to win the league, but I do think the possibility exists if they get some breaks along the way.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

03-10-05 02:55 AM - Post#6009    
    In response to CUJacob

I think a more realistic goal is for Cornell to finish in the top half again, and maybe win a game or two more. It's one thing to finish near the top for a year or two, but a team has to sustain that success.

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
03-10-05 03:10 AM - Post#6010    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

A nice goal for Cornell would be a good Ivy season (more wins than this year) and an overall record over .500. That would make them eligible for the NIT. While this year's second place finish is a nice improvement for Cornell, it seems a bit hollow since Cornell will not be able to garner an NIT bid out of it.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
03-10-05 01:37 PM - Post#6011    
    In response to Red n Blue

Cornell should be very proud of their league record, and each player should work hard to improve during the off-season. They need to focus on beating teams like Marist, Colgate, St. Francis, Quinnipiac in November and December, then carry that over to the league season.

If the league really is improving, then the 2nd place team in the Ivy League should be in the top 100 in the country and get an NIT bid.

Anonymous 

03-10-05 02:02 PM - Post#6012    

How would you prefer to be addressed, as BRF or CUF? Please do tell us.

Does Cornell have some small chance of winning next year? Yes. But those chances are the same as Columbia, Brown, Harvard. Penn and Princeton -- yes Princeton -- are better positioned.

Nice troll, though.

AndyAtPenn 
goober

Loc: Philly
Reg: 12-05-04
03-11-05 08:42 PM - Post#6013    
    In response to Penn94

Quote:

Hey BRF.....Cornell had its best season in a while when you were banished. I think the answer to your question "Can Cornell Win the League Next Year" is a hearty "Yes, only if you disappear again".

You beat me to it ...

- AAP

foehi 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-22-04
03-12-05 12:07 PM - Post#6014    
    In response to Brian Martin

They need to focus on beating teams like Marist, Colgate, St. Francis, Quinnipiac in November and December, then carry that over to the league season.

What happened to Donahue's concept of scheduling up in the early season? That is not a very imposing list of early games.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
03-12-05 10:43 PM - Post#6015    
    In response to foehi

Quote:

They need to focus on beating teams like Marist, Colgate, St. Francis, Quinnipiac in November and December, then carry that over to the league season.

What happened to Donahue's concept of scheduling up in the early season? That is not a very imposing list of early games.

They played a few good teams as well. I was pointing out four teams who beat Cornell this year that an upper division Ivy team should be able to beat.

Don't be so self-righteous about scheduling. Cornell needs to schedule some teams who will go to Ithaca. They do not have the Big 5 or the Palestra or Philly recruiting to get name opponents.

The problem is that Cornell needs to beat those teams the way that beating up on Siena and Lafayette helped turn Penn's season around.

CUF Police 

Reg: 03-27-05
03-27-05 02:55 AM - Post#6016    

In a word: No.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.396 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:58 AM