Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Travel to Cleveland - a few tips        (Topic#990)
Anonymous 

03-14-05 12:54 AM - Post#6457    

As someone who's (sadly) spent a little time traveling to Cleveland, some things to consider if you're thinking of making it to the game in person.

First off, consider flying into the Akron airport - only about an hour from Cleveland - and renting a car for the drive to the city. Might be cheaper than flying directly into Cleveland, depending on where you're flying in from. AirTran, US Air, Delta and United fly there, and I believe a few others may too.

Also, given the fact that Penn has a puncher's shot at BC (great, great draw), you might want to only get a one-way ticket there, and book a separate one-way home once you know if you're leaving Thursday or Saturday. Between the two airports, and the fact that low-cost airlines like ATA (in Cleveland) and AirTran (in Akron) allow last minute tix for pretty cheap, you have some flexibility there.

Finally, if you're staying in Cleveland, try to stay at the Wyndham Playhouse Square. Rooms will get snatched up there quickly, but it's one of the great hotel values around. It's a very handsome hotel, and will probably go for something like $100.

Other places worth checking out are the Holiday Inn Express (also $100 or so). Other more expensive options I can speak to include the Sheraton and the Ritz - both of which are plenty nice.

LET'S-go-PE-en (just this once)

The Willow 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Travel to Cleveland - a few tips
03-14-05 01:05 AM - Post#6458    
    In response to

Another thought: Apparently, you cannot hail cabs on the Street in Cleveland- you have to call for them, and it can take forever... so renting a car may be a good investment.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
For families with children (or the young at heart)
03-14-05 02:15 AM - Post#6459    
    In response to The Willow

Although the Cedar Point facility is not yet open for the outdoor season, they do have an indoor water slide park that is open year round. Although the park is usually open to resort guests only, day passes are available through Wednesday March 16, the day before the tournament games.

omegahouse 
Freshman
omegahouse
Reg: 12-06-04
03-14-05 02:27 AM - Post#6460    
    In response to

My searches (internet only, and admittedly hurried and a bit brief) indicate that for those flying from the Philadelphia area, go to BWI (Baltimore) and take Southwest (non-stop) to Cleveland. It appears to be really, really inexpensive, as opposed to the other major carriers (whether flying to Cleveland, or Akron). Total cost one way is about $98.00----not too bad, by comparison to others. BWI is not really difficult to get to. Also, room at the Ritz, while going very, very quickly, are priced at about $240.00 per nite----again, not cheap, but not really that much more than the Marriott or simialr hotels, if you want to be downtown, and just across from the Jake (Jacobs Field). Anyone have other thoughts or suggestions....

DCAJedi 
Masters Student

Loc: Somewhere.
03-14-05 02:29 AM - Post#6461    
    In response to omegahouse

Remember that the game is at the CSU Convocation Center, not Gund Arena. So you would have to get from downtown to wherever that is.
"Here will be an old abusing of God's patience, and the king's English."

omegahouse 
Freshman
omegahouse
Reg: 12-06-04
03-14-05 02:31 AM - Post#6462    
    In response to DCAJedi

Right. Gosh, I thought it was at the Gund, maybe because I watched some tournament action from the Gund, over the past 3 or so days. Do you know where the CSU arena is, in relation to downtown? I have to think it isn't that far, but who knows?

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
03-14-05 02:56 AM - Post#6463    
    In response to omegahouse

It is not far from downtown at all, only a few blocks off I-71/90 and plenty of parking

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Flying out of BWI
03-14-05 07:04 AM - Post#6464    
    In response to Streamers

Flying out of Baltimore (BWI) has several advantages.

1. Since we are apparently playing the 2:50 PM game, you can fly back and forth in one day.
2. The round trip fare is only $215 and is fully refundable so that flights can be easily changed if we win.
3. Continental and Southwest both offer the same fare, so that we have flexibility in the choice of flights.
4. The alternative is an 8 hour drive each way, and probably two overnights.

If anyone is interested, contact me or send me a private message.

Stu

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
Re: Flying out of BWI
03-14-05 10:49 AM - Post#6465    
    In response to Stuart Suss

There are lots of fun things to do in Cleveland, believe it or not. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is not to be missed. A trip to Kent State (for those who remember the 60's) is worthwhile. There is a very nice memorial to the 4 dead in Ohio. Canton is not far (Pro Football Hall of Fame).

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Cleveland travel and tourism, continued
03-14-05 01:20 PM - Post#6466    
    In response to 10Q

Some comments on this and others in the thread;

1) Do not miss the R&R HOF. It is truly amazing--you could easily spend all day there, great for all ages. As good as the Pro Football HOF is, the R&R HOF is simply in a class by itself.

2) Absolutely true about downtown Cleveland being dead past 5 pm. I was at a convention there a few months ago, very close to CSU site. Very little is open after that time--do not automatically assume you'll find a cab on the street. I would hope that the situation will be different around the stadium itself, but that may not be the case for downtown as a whole.

3) For the NYC folks--LaGuardia flights to Hopkins are likely to be in relatively small, claustrophobic planes. Airtran to Akron has larger planes, cheap flights, the airport is decent and the drive isn't terribly far to Cleveland.

Quote:

There are lots of fun things to do in Cleveland, believe it or not. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is not to be missed. A trip to Kent State (for those who remember the 60's) is worthwhile. There is a very nice memorial to the 4 dead in Ohio. Canton is not far (Pro Football Hall of Fame).

Anonymous 

I'd probably look to stay downtown
03-14-05 01:22 PM - Post#6467    
    In response to 10Q

...as the dining options and hotels are generally nicer. The CSU center is an easy cab ride (or drive) away from downtown.

The reason I mention the Wyndham is because a) it's still available at $107, b) it's well located, and c) it's actually a handsome little hotel for the price. No reason to stay in the Ritz if this one is available.

For dinner, try heading to the Warehouse District - lots of eclectic bars, restaurants, etc. and it's right on the water. Blue Point Grille there has very good seafood. Johnny's Bistro is a nice little place. For late night (or breakfast), try Waterstreet Grill.

If you're downtown, Lola is a sharp, New American type.

Have fun and good luck!

patrickscribe 

Reg: 03-14-05
From a Cleveland resident/former DP editor
03-14-05 02:18 PM - Post#6468    
    In response to

A few basics, for those who don't want to rent a car:

The CSU Convocation Center is downtown. It's about 15 blocks from the very center of downtown. Though it officially has some other name, people still know it as the Convocation Center.

Cleveland's public transportaion sucks. But...it has a handy light rail line from Hopkins airport right to the center of downtown. Don't get a cab from the airport if you're on a budget. Just take RTA from the terminal to Tower City, the mall/train station right in the city center. Take the Walkway to Gateway from Tower City, which will bring you right by Gund Arena and Jacobs Field. Then just walk due east wherever you get out of that tunnel and you'll hit the Convocation Center.

An RTA rail line - change at Tower City - swings by the Rock Hall.

A good restaurant option is Mallorca, a great Spanish place at 1390 W. 9th St., just a few blocks from Tower City. Not student budget cheap but not a wallet killer.

If you're here for the weekend, consider taking the RTA to the University Circle stop, which is at the edge of the area of town with the Cleveland Museum of Art, Natural History Museum, Littl Italy (very little) and Case Western Reserve University. The art museum's decent and its free.

There are a couple of sports bars near Jacobs Field where you can watch other games.

I would be happy to help people out this week, but I am already commited to being in New Orleans this week. Stinks for a Penn fan from New England. If you have questions, though, e-mail me at patrickscribe@yahoo.com by 5 p.m. today (Monday) and I'll try and help out.

I have no tickets or leads on tickets.

- Patrick O'Donnell
DP assistant managing editor, 1991
now reporter at the Cleveland Plain Dealer

Anonymous 

Re: From a Cleveland resident/former DP editor
03-14-05 02:54 PM - Post#6469    
    In response to patrickscribe

how about a recommendation for a popular cleveland pub or sports bar to get rowdy and obnoxious at before and after the game?

patrickscribe 

Reg: 03-14-05
Re: From a Cleveland resident/former DP editor
03-14-05 03:52 PM - Post#6470    
    In response to

ALERT: This game is on Thursday afternoon, St. Patrick's Day. I don't know details but there should be a parade down Euclid Ave, very close to the Convocation Center mid-day. That may affect the driving routes for those of you with a car. But worse - it will make parking tougher. And - good or bad depending on your idea of fun - most of the bars and restuarants will be full of parade people before the game. It will be a boisterous crowd, as rowdy as you can really get in broad daylight with families with kids around. That means more partiers, just not about the games.

For a decent/dependable bar/restaurant with great satelite packages and tons of TVs by the bar, try the Winking Lizard at 820 Prospect Ave. There are a couple others in the E. 9th and Prospect area that can be full for Indians games and will probably have crowds on Thurs.

- Patrick

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Parking and driving information for Arena
03-14-05 04:30 PM - Post#6471    
    In response to patrickscribe

Cleveland State news release with links to relevant maps.

http://www.csuohio.edu/news/releases/2005/03/13540.html

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.565 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:29 PM