Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Time to start the Scouting BC thread        (Topic#996)
Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
03-14-05 01:33 PM - Post#6480    

I have only seen them play once on TV and did not study them that closely. I know there are folks out there that know them pretty well. Anyone care to share how Penn matches up?

here is one link FWIW : Scouting report

From what I have been able to gather, this team does not shoot all that well, but plays very good defense when they are inspired and must do that to win. They do not run all that much, but take pretty good care of the ball. Looking at their record, you do not see huge improvement over the course of the year, and quite a few close games against Penn-quality teams. Skinner is a pretty good coach, but these guys could get caught looking ahead to 'Bama. Jay Wright hinted on TV last night that the key for Penn is to 'get physical' with these guys. Interesting given their two forwards do most of the scoring. They also have a 7' center who gets minutes.

Questions: Who guards Dudley?, can Begs stay with Dudley or Marshall? Can Danley stay out of foul trouble trying to bump with Smith? Will Z be able to score inside, or can he pull his man out with 15 footers? Can Jan & Ryan be effective aginst this kind of front line? Will Ibby have a field day with their guards? Perhaps most importantly, will Oz be able to contribute (this is huge) and if not, will Whitehurst stay cool and bring his shooting eye to the game?

palestra38 
Professor

Re: Time to start the Scouting BC thread
03-14-05 01:51 PM - Post#6481    
    In response to Streamers

It looks to me that BC will look at the lack of beef in our frontcourt guys and drool. Expect them to pound it inside and try to draw fouls. We may need to pack it in and dare them to beat us from outside. We also may need all of our fouls...not necessarily a good thing because they are a very good foul shooting team.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

03-14-05 01:58 PM - Post#6482    
    In response to palestra38

Press press press press press. Ibby and Whitehurst need to be in their guards' shirts. Our best chance at winning begins and ends with how successful we can be at disrupting their backcourt play. I know Watson's a bit dinged but not much else about them.

Of all the tournament mismatches Penn has seen in the past few years this frontcourt discrepancy ranks pretty highly, but we've never had such a clear cut means of short circuiting it. It would be nice to have Oz, but I'm not counting on it. (Just to prevent confusion, I have no information that leads me to say that; it's a hunch.)

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
03-14-05 01:58 PM - Post#6483    

One other thing. It is said that WVU zoned them to death. Fran is not a zone kind of guy. Think we might try it and force them to shoot over us?

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-14-05 02:08 PM - Post#6484    
    In response to pennhoops

Exactly.

Of course, this means that Fran's usual Death March roster of 7-8 needs to be expanded.

Dick "Hoops" Weiss of the NY Daily News focused, irnoically, on what he claims is Penn's inability to beat the press and its poor foul shooting. While the second of these two points is legit, I think he's missing the boat on the first.

Penn's defensive pressure gives it a fighting chance, if not much more.

Quote:

Press press press press press. Ibby and Whitehurst need to be in their guards' shirts. Our best chance at winning begins and ends with how successful we can be at disrupting their backcourt play. I know Watson's a bit dinged but not much else about them.

Of all the tournament mismatches Penn has seen in the past few years this frontcourt discrepancy ranks pretty highly, but we've never had such a clear cut means of short circuiting it. It would be nice to have Oz, but I'm not counting on it. (Just to prevent confusion, I have no information that leads me to say that; it's a hunch.)

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
03-14-05 02:38 PM - Post#6485    
    In response to Streamers

This doesn't strike me as a good matchup for us on paper (but what 4 seed does, I guess). It's the defense thing that scares me (the 1st thing Clark Kellogg said when they announced the brackets was that BC was a strong defensive team that could challenge Illinois). I'm pretty sure Penn was going to hang in there defensively against whoever they drew; the question is whether we'll be able to score. So I was hoping for a team that struggled more on D.

However, as you suggest, they don't always seem to have the defensive intensity, which makes you wonder if this game could look like the Florida game a few years back (where we look good offensively for a while and then look totally lost when they turn up the heat).

Finally, on the individual matchups, if Begley can't cover Dudley we'll have a problem. Who else does it? Oz? Zoller with Begley on the 7 fter? If Begs can't cover Dudley it looks like we either see a lot of Fikiel at the 3 (perhaps covering their center) or a zone.

nychoops 
Junior

Reg: 11-23-04
03-14-05 03:56 PM - Post#6486    
    In response to SomeGuy

BC is a very tough team....physically tough and mentally tough. Smith and Dudley are animals......they can be exploited from beyond the arch.....this Frosh Big they bring in is a great defender in the paint. Dont bet on Skinner not having them prepared...If Penn wins this game they will have to earn it

Anonymous 

03-14-05 04:03 PM - Post#6487    
    In response to nychoops

Quote:

BC is a very tough team....physically tough and mentally tough. Smith and Dudley are animals......they can be exploited from beyond the arch.....this Frosh Big they bring in is a great defender in the paint. Dont bet on Skinner not having them prepared...If Penn wins this game they will have to earn it

Unfortunately, this hasn't been a year when shooting the 3 has been a Penn strength. Devising a strategy that's going to allow Penn to get some reasonable scoring opportunities and keeping his inside players from fouling out are going to be Dunphy's biggest challenges.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
03-14-05 04:05 PM - Post#6488    
    In response to penn nation

They don't turn the ball over much, so press-press-press isn't the right answer. Certainly not fullcourt. But WVU the other day had some success with a selective half-court or 3/4 court trap.

And in the halfcourt offense, West Virginia did a very good job spreading the floor and getting good ball movement to create lots of open shots. Their guards got a lot of open backdoor cuts because their spacing was so good. I don't think we have to kill from 3, although it would probably help a lot if Danley or Zoller surprised them and knocked one down early, because that could draw Smith and Dornekamp away from the basket and open up even more room for other stuff.

palestra38 
Professor

03-14-05 04:05 PM - Post#6489    
    In response to

(Shhhhhh---don't tell anyone....but the secret weapon against a team like this is Ryan Pettinella).

Anonymous 

03-14-05 04:26 PM - Post#6490    

Quote:

(Shhhhhh---don't tell anyone....but the secret weapon against a team like this is Ryan Pettinella).

A double edged sword, for sure. On the one hand Ryan trying to defend their frontline guys could be a nightmare. On the other hand, it sure might help if one of BC's forwards picked up some quick fouls trying to defend Ryan's inside contortions...getting one of their forwards on the bench for extended minutes could be very big deal. I don't know where Jan plays...slow and soft is not a good combo against BC's frontline.

palestra38 
Professor

03-14-05 05:04 PM - Post#6491    
    In response to

Who's going to play better defense than Pettinella (other than Danley---I think we need to play 2 big guys against this team)?

SomeGuy 
Professor

03-14-05 05:43 PM - Post#6492    
    In response to

Not sure this is true. Pettinella would get killed by Smith, but he could probably hold his own against the 7 fter, who doesn't do a whole lot on offense.

Anonymous 

03-14-05 06:07 PM - Post#6493    
    In response to SomeGuy

Quote:

Not sure this is true. Pettinella would get killed by Smith, but he could probably hold his own against the 7 fter, who doesn't do a whole lot on offense.

Probably so...though, I was thinking more of his tendency to foul than how often he'd get beat by either of their forwards. Even so, I'd love to see one of their key scorers pick up a couple of quick ones trying to block Ryan's reverse layup attempts...

SomeGuy 
Professor

03-14-05 07:08 PM - Post#6494    
    In response to

Ryan also probably could hold his own defensively against Williams, their backup big guy. Jan will be an interesting question; we may hide him on the center, and we may need him to defend Dudley. It looks to me like his shooting will create a matchup problem for them and draw their forwards away from the basket. Huge defensive problem for us, but I think those kinds of weird matchups are actually better for us.

Finally, reversing your point about fouls, my big fear is that we're probably going to be asking Begley to defend Dudley, who draws a lot of fouls. The nightmare scenario is that Begs pulls an MJ and gets into foul trouble. No Begley, and our very small chance gets even smaller.

Anonymous 

03-14-05 07:42 PM - Post#6495    
    In response to SomeGuy

Maybe Dunph needs to play more zone...right from the get-go. Let 'em beat us with the outside shot...they probably will, but maybe its worth a try. I think that unless Dunphy does some unusual things on both ends and with who gets on the floor (and when they get on the floor) its going to be a long afternoon for the Quakes.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
03-14-05 07:55 PM - Post#6496    

Quote:

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to hear you say that

Seriously, I think fouls, and how tightly the game is called could play a big role. I see this as being a relatively low-scoring, intense game with many FTs attempted. Foul problems could really have an impact on the matchups and they play a 9-10 man rotation, so they will have more to give. I'm thinking zone may our best move with a little extra pressure on the guards. Maybe we could bring Chaney in as a consultant...

SomeGuy 
Professor

03-15-05 01:55 AM - Post#6497    
    In response to

Maybe I'm reading too much into what Begley said about the matchup, but I don't think you'd hear those types of comments if the idea from the staff was that we can only win if we play a different defensive game than we're accustomed to and change the rotation significantly.

My guess is that we believe we can play our game and compete -- rightly or wrongly. I think we want this game to look like Temple or SJoe this year -- a typical low-scoring, physical Big 5 game. Hang in long enough to get to the point where anything can happen. Maybe we get a technical called on the Eagle.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

03-15-05 02:07 AM - Post#6498    
    In response to SomeGuy

There aren't many big men in the country better than Duane Jones, especially on defense, and we were able to compete, draw fouls, and score inside. He's also much taller than BC's starting forwards. We have some chances to do damage.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
03-15-05 03:45 AM - Post#6499    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

I've been thinking St. Joe's Redux all day. Both teams have a scorer at the wing, although Carroll is a much, much better 3-point shooter than Dudley, while Dudley is better at getting it done from mid-range and on the drive. But it will be the same kind of knock down, drag out defensive battle.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.275 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:23 AM