Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: College brokered NIL deals        (Topic#25997)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
02-07-22 03:09 PM - Post#335726    

We are entering a new era in college athletics. If we thought we were at a disadvantage in sports because we don't have scholarships, this may become a next level of disadvantage. I somehow doubt that the Ivy League will take it on to create the best NIL infrastructure in the NCAA. This might relegate us to D III.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stor y/_/id/3...

As much as I was a historical fan of Ivy athletics, I'm not sure whether I would advocate keeping up here. If the league is destined to be similar to D3, it might be better not to bother than to try and fail. There is no cap on NIL, so you can't ever stop if you are determined to stay ahead of the rest.

Thoughts? Since sports are not really a revenue generator in the Ivies already, it makes more sense for the Texas A&Ms of the world to invest fully in maximizing NIL. They would get a more predictable ROI.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
02-07-22 03:23 PM - Post#335730    
    In response to Penndemonium

I wonder if the ACC would like to have a team in the Philadelphia market?

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-07-22 11:24 PM - Post#335782    
    In response to Streamers

The IL way would be for the league to prohibit schools from doing this on their own, but setting up a joint conference NIL clearing-house that would be run like a bad dating site. Then they could claim to be responsive to the brave new world while falling behind.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
02-07-22 11:38 PM - Post#335783    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:

OK, let's get two things straight right now--no matter whether we like it or not:

1.) Penn is never leaving the Ivy League;
2.) The Ivies are never allowing athletic scholarships.

That having been said, read the league statement on NIL: it is remarkably accepting of reality and non-obstructive. I won't link everything here, but if you go to the individual school websites and search for NIL, you'll find that every league member now has a policy allowing athletes to take advantage of it, and several schools have either contracted firms to help athletes develop endorsements, and/or hired staff to help them navigate the new landscape (Penn has done the former and already has a center to help student-athletes manage their lives, so the latter will be just folded in to their work.) Whether the league will be competent at it remains to be seen; however, in fairness, the Ivies are certainly the best positioned and connected non-upper echelon conference in this respect. Just think of what Wharton could do for our players, for instance. . .

As I've said before, I'm not optimistic that we will be permitted to remain at the top of college basketball in the long run (lesser sports may be a different matter), but I think that has a lot more to do with how the Power 5 decides to reshape college sports than it will with either the Ivies' will to succeed or or how well they execute their strategies.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
02-07-22 11:43 PM - Post#335784    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
The IL way would be for the league to prohibit schools from doing this on their own, but setting up a joint conference NIL clearing-house that would be run like a bad dating site. Then they could claim to be responsive to the brave new world while falling behind.

Actually, as I just mentioned, all eight schools are doing something on their own to greater or lesser extents (and Penn seems to be on the greater side at the moment.) One thing the ESPN article brings up that I don't know is what the different states' laws are and whether certain schools will have advantages relative to others--although, as the article also points out, the likelihood in the long run on that front is for all states to lessen limitations.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
02-08-22 12:06 AM - Post#335788    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:

Remember the April Fool’s/Joke Issue of the DP in ‘79? “Penn leaves Ivy League to join ACC.” We had beaten three ACC teams that season (including #1 seed UNC) on our way to the Final Four, and lots of people thought it was serious.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-08-22 12:12 AM - Post#335790    
    In response to LyleGold

Give them time, dperry. As the article noted, even the NCAA is currently paralyzed by fears of violating antitrust rules (and the Ivies are already in hot water about financial aid collusion). Once the coast is clear, they'll come up with a way to screw it up.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
02-08-22 10:05 AM - Post#335812    
    In response to LyleGold

• LyleGold Said:
  • Streamers Said:

Remember the April Fool’s/Joke Issue of the DP in ‘79? “Penn leaves Ivy League to join ACC.” We had beaten three ACC teams that season (including #1 seed UNC) on our way to the Final Four, and lots of people thought it was serious.

I knew I could count on you to remember this and call my bluff. I wonder how much Wharton will charge to consult on NIL marketing after they secede from the University?

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
02-08-22 12:32 PM - Post#335833    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:

I knew I could count on you to remember this and call my bluff. I wonder how much Wharton will charge to consult on NIL marketing after they secede from the University?

Wait, that was another Joke Issue headline! Did you remember that one or was it just serendipity?

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
02-08-22 01:12 PM - Post#335835    
    In response to LyleGold

1977 IIRC

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
02-09-22 04:28 PM - Post#335913    
    In response to Streamers

I didn't say the Ivy League wasn't supporting it - they have to. But the winners in the NIL game will be the ones who really work hard at it. I'm not sure the league will do that. Maybe they add it to someone's job description and companies like Learfield will provide outsourced NIL services to schools - but I don't see the league outdoing other schools in this area. Even with a lot of wealthy alumni, most just haven't been trained to value Ivy athletics the same way a Michigan alumnus does their football program.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.015 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:34 AM