Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 19 of 22 « First<19202122
Username Post: This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities        (Topic#24887)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
03-14-21 06:12 PM - Post#322002    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Seriously, he can have hygiene theater if he wants and you can just button up about it. He's talking about his own home, his own family, and his family's health. He didn't tell you what to do, and he's already explained enough reasons to warrant extra caution. You crossed a line. Just apologize for acting like a cockroach. It isn't that hard to do. Then we can all go back to enjoying basketball related topics.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
03-14-21 07:26 PM - Post#322007    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
Duke just ordered all students to shelter in place for a week

Blaming Greek rush and recruiting events for their social club dorms.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-14-21 07:34 PM - Post#322008    
    In response to Penndemonium

I didn't ask for anyone to apologize nor is it needed--at least, not for me.

Appreciate the thoughts of those who have commented.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-14-21 08:12 PM - Post#322015    
    In response to penn nation

A lot of crossed responses here, so I'm not quite sure who has been responding to whom.

I don't mean to attack anyone, just very very tired of defending the use of masks. As a coop president, I had to do so for over 150 individuals, some of whom refused to wear a mask because they personally felt they didn't need it. To me, that is not why you wear the mask. Now, I'm handling this for an office setting. The result was four COVID cases in a month's time, each shutting the office down. My wife teaches pre-school, which got shut down when a parent lied and sent a 3 year old despite her father and a sibling having COVID. My son advises a large state on testing and vaccines, so I stay on top of the latest science and studies.

That said, I push back against those who see masks as not necessary. Certainly, it is acknowledged that six feeet + outdoors can suffice, as long as you are prepared to mask up as a courtesy if someone comes near. It doesn't seem acceptable though to claim that others should avoid you. That's not fair.

I truly fear an NCAA tournament nightmare as fans attend. This is not a bubble, just less travel.

Just got finished watching 60 Minutes where a virologish explained that our vaccines may not work against some variants and showed why.

Please everyone, let's not jump before we know.

I hope for the best for everyone and to an awesome 2021.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
03-14-21 08:19 PM - Post#322017    

There will be absolutely no apologies forthcoming. Let’s be real. Unless on wants to apologize to his family for undue burdens. Or his wife. The outdoors is safe.

I’m not an anti masker. I’m not against shutdowns. You won’t find me eating at a restaurant indoors. Texas opened up too quick. Etc.

A vaccinated family does not need to wear masks OUTDOORS. That’s it. That’s the tweet

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
03-14-21 08:49 PM - Post#322022    
    In response to Jeff2sf

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-55680 305

It's not impossible to catch it outdoors. Very low risk. However if you're kid is playing at the playground without a mask and someone sneezes in his or her face they have a decent chance of catching something.

As far as those being vaccinated not wearing masks I don't think we have the research yet to know if those vaccinated are still getting the virus and can spread it. Some of what I have read seem promising that they are not. However in the interim why not just wear it around others even when outdoors. No one knows you were vaccinated. Why cause them unnecessary stress?

I carry my mask outdoors and wear it when people go by. It may be an overreaction but so be it. I will also probably keep wearing a mask in stores and such even after the virus is largely gone. Seems a great way to avoid the cold and flu.

SomeGuy 
Professor

03-14-21 08:56 PM - Post#322023    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Jeff,

Sorry to hear of your Dad’s passing.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

03-14-21 09:17 PM - Post#322029    
    In response to SomeGuy

thanks, penn alum class of 72.

look guys, you sound like you only have arguments for covid deniers or anti maskers. that ain't me. I believe in science, but I don't believe in a riskless world. We can't make all our decisions based on 99.95% statistical significance. We don't "know" that the vaccine reduces transmission. but we do in fact "know" that vaccine reduces transmission. I can't promise you a world without risk. But we never lived in one from the beginning.

and i didn't put my body on the line in the vaccine trial just so PN's kids bubbe can't hug her grandkids when vaccinated maskless.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

03-14-21 09:58 PM - Post#322030    
    In response to Jeff2sf

My issue is ridiculing someone else's health choices. The problem is that you are telling someone else what risks should be acceptable to them. I feel fine being outdoors with other people, unmasked at a distance. I feel it is very low risk. But I don't type message after message harassing other people who won't. I read that and think WTF. Especially when people on this board may have lost loved ones and/or have their own personal health considerations. Jeff2SF, I don't give a ____ what you think about anyone's choices. Such a _____.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

03-14-21 10:11 PM - Post#322031    
    In response to Jeff2sf

What is the matter with you? He's already mentioned that he has health considerations. He's mentioned that his wife is as cautious as he is. You've talked about hygiene theater, being much too cautious, and that he should apologize to his family even since these disclosures. Just shut it.

• Jeff2sf Said:
There will be absolutely no apologies forthcoming. Let’s be real. Unless on wants to apologize to his family for undue burdens. Or his wife. The outdoors is safe.

I’m not an anti masker. I’m not against shutdowns. You won’t find me eating at a restaurant indoors. Texas opened up too quick. Etc.

A vaccinated family does not need to wear masks OUTDOORS. That’s it. That’s the tweet

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities
03-14-21 11:09 PM - Post#322032    

just stop bud. there's no basketball to talk about. it's been a long pandemic, i'm going to do my thing (call people out on hygiene theater).

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

03-15-21 06:04 AM - Post#322033    
    In response to Jeff2sf

You wouldn't entertain a bit of hygiene theater to help your boy, parents, or self (each with elevated risks, so your made up statistics may not apply) feel safe? Fine for you then. Your choice. A board poster getting their family together for the first time in a while is the heartwarming moment you decide to lecture people on hygiene theater? If someone built a freakin' plastic bubble for everyone, you are still out of line. I'm sorry to hear about your dad (only just saw that on re-reading some posts), but *possibly* someone on this board could have lost a loved one someone not having sufficient hygiene theater? I for one know a family (Penn alums, no less) that lost a previously healthy grandparent due to a holiday extended family get together and the spread of covid. Trust me, the amount of grief, anger, blame, guilt and broken feelings are unimaginable. I really don't know how or if the family will ever heal.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

03-15-21 02:55 PM - Post#322068    

you're just missing the point, man. You're also too focused on the risks you see vs. the risks you don't see.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

03-15-21 04:58 PM - Post#322088    
    In response to Jeff2sf

See, that's where you're wrong. I am not even basing my comments on the risks at all. I am not lecturing anyone about wearing a mask or not. That's what you're doing. I'm judging the fact that you're badgering other people's choices about their health. You made a giant production of why you're right before I got started here. You are not in their shoes and their decisions are their own and don't endanger you in any way. That is the WTF part of this.

I already said that I meet people outdoors and without masks with a bit of space. Comments like Hygiene theater absolutely tick me off. I need to call this out. PF clearly doesn't need my defense and is handling it fine, but what if it were someone else struggling? Many people are in these times. Just because you are anonymous on a board doesn't mean you should force this jackery on everyone.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

03-15-21 05:07 PM - Post#322090    

you're not going to win this bud. There's nothing to talk about basketball wise and I haven't paid attention to a basketball thought of yours in years so what do you wanna do?

You talked about the risks to the older people, so that's what I commented on. I didn't risk my life with the vaccine trial just to see grandma have to meet in a mask outdoors.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

03-15-21 06:45 PM - Post#322095    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Your choices covid-wise are fine by me. Short of you giving covid to others, I really don't care. You simply could have said you had a different experience and reasons for regretting your own mask choices with your family. I would have no issues with that. Trying to impose your will and point of view on people whose circumstances you had no idea about is BS. You can keep thinking you're right by being a brick. I'm still calling this out. ______.

Edited by Penndemonium on 03-15-21 06:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

03-15-21 06:47 PM - Post#322096    

no, they do not affect the math of a child with moderate asthma outside around vaccinated adults. It does not, at all. it's stupid. you keep calling attention to penn nation's dumb decision by trying to defend it. just let it go. i will keep coming at you.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

03-15-21 07:01 PM - Post#322097    
    In response to Jeff2sf

What does this say about you?

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-15-21 07:43 PM - Post#322101    
    In response to Jeff2sf

• Jeff2sf Said:

Hmmm. I may be mistaken but wasn't the superspreader event in DC (when Amy Coney Barret was confirmed) all outside? No one wore masks.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

03-16-21 10:50 AM - Post#322118    
    In response to PennFan10

there was a large indoor component despite being called "the rose garden event".

https://www.vox.com/coronavirus-covid19/2 1499923/t...

but also to be clear, I'm not advocating anyone hang out in seats that close, let alone maskless, for an hour. seems unlikely that many of us are being invited to those sorts of ceremonies on the reg though.

Edited by Jeff2sf on 03-16-21 10:57 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 19 of 22 « First<19202122
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.113 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:03 AM