Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Big Game tonight        (Topic#2494)
light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
02-18-06 04:16 PM - Post#15849    

Awesome win last night- I was doing the belated Valentine's Day thing with Ms. lbh when I got a text message from my friend saying we had won. I immediately called a couple of buddies to get the scoop on the game while she sat on the couch fuming. I don't think you can do anything short of an actionable offense to piss off your girlfriend more than acting like a Columbia BBall game is more important than her during a Valentine's Day celebration.

Anyways, as the Penn fans rend their clothes over a 2-pt road loss, I think tonight's game is huge. Columbia was the last team to sweep a P's weekend, and has a chance tonight to finish off another.

I'm tempting to say more, but I've noticed that everytime I break out the stats from the previous game, Columbia loses. So instead- thoughts on tonight.

The two key numbers tonight, I think, will be the rebounding differential and how Princeton shoots from 3. CU needs to be at least +10 or better and hold princeton to under 35%.

What do you guys think will be the keys to the game?

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Big Game tonight
02-18-06 04:34 PM - Post#15850    
    In response to light blue heavy

With the Tigers' lengthy, draining game last night and the trip to NYC, they're about ready to be taken. And, Columbia should now realize it has the goods to beat them. Actually, I think they proved that in Jadwin.
Bringing Penn back to the league, or one team, Fri. and ruining Princeton's chances the next night would be, indeed, satisfying. The Lions are 1-point favorites, apparently.
west coast fan

foehi 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-22-04
02-18-06 05:04 PM - Post#15851    

Big game? Tonight's game is huge? There's that much difference between 3-7 and 2-8?

Big R&B Truth 
Masters Student
Big R&B Truth
Loc: Back Waters of New Englan...
Reg: 11-23-04
02-18-06 06:20 PM - Post#15852    
    In response to foehi

Quote:

Big game? Tonight's game is huge? There's that much difference between 3-7 and 2-8?

It is when your 2-2 against the Ps. It's a far bigger moral victory then Penn not getting wiped off the court by Duke.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
02-18-06 07:49 PM - Post#15853    
    In response to Big R&B Truth

Yes, tonights game is pretty big for the program. For this year, it could be the difference between going .500 or not, and it would be the difference between getting to 10 wins or not. While perhaps not important to Penn fans used to winning the league, I can guarantee its important to everyone in the CU locker room.

On a more global level, some games just mean more. If penn is out of contention, beating princeton is still a big deal to penn. Its a big deal for recruiting. Its a big deal for the fan base. Every team in the league sees the games against the P's as a big deal, and you guys should be proud of your team for that. For Columbia, its an even bigger deal, because everyone else's alumns are in New York. If Columbia starts winning these games, it changes the entire character of the crowds at these games. The crowd at the Penn @ CU games in 2000-01 after they swept the P's on the road are not only much bigger than to ones you saw in 2002-03, they are a lot more light blue.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Reg: 11-21-04
Congratulations, Mr. Light Blue Heavy
02-19-06 06:05 AM - Post#15854    

Great analysis.

You said that Columbia needed to out rebound Princeton by 10 and to hold Princeton to less than 35% in 3 point shooting.

Saturday night, Columbia outrebounds Princeton by 10, 24-14; holds Princeton to 32% 3 point shooting, 8-25; and wins by 1 point.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.185 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:15 AM