Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Basketball Rule Changes        (Topic#27307)
BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
06-12-23 03:17 PM - Post#356755    

The NCAA's Playing Rules Oversight Panel has approved several rule changes for 2023-24. Quoting from the NCAA:
--Charge/block: A defender will have to be in position to draw a charge at the time an offensive player plants a foot to go airborne to attempt a field goal. If the defender arrives after the offensive player plants a foot to launch toward the basket, officials will be instructed to call a block when contact occurs between the two players.
--An optional rule will allow for preloaded/live video to be transmitted to the bench area. This has been an experimental rule for the past two years. [I'm baffled by this one]
--Officials will be able to review goaltending/basket interference calls during the next media timeout to ensure the calls were accurate, as long as the official calls it on the floor. If there is a foul on the shooter while the ball is in the air with a goaltend/basket interference, the review would be immediate to properly adjudicate the potential free throws.
--Bench personnel who are not students will be allowed to serve as peacekeepers when an altercation occurs.
--Under two minutes, when a coach requests an out-of-bounds play be reviewed, that team will be charged a timeout if the original call is not overturned.
--Anytime the ball hits the rim and the offense retains possession in the front court, the shot clock will reset to 20 seconds. [Not sure how this is different]
--If a player is called for a foul and instant replay officials see that the foul is a direct result of a flagrant 1 or flagrant 2 foul against the player who was originally assessed a foul, officials will be allowed to remove the foul on the player who was flagrantly fouled.
--A timeout will be able to be granted when a player has possession of the ball even though the player is airborne. (An example would be a player grabbing a loose ball and calling timeout before landing out of bounds.)
--Players will be allowed to wear numbers 0-99.
--If a player commits three flagrant 1 fouls in a game, the player will be disqualified from the game.
--Schools will no longer have to submit a waiver for players to wear religious headwear, provided it is safe for competition.
--Red and amber lights will be allowed on the backboard.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/6/8/media-c enter-ch...

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
Basketball Rule Changes
06-12-23 03:28 PM - Post#356756    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

I love the change about being able to call timeout when you're flying out of bounds. I've always felt that, since you're not out of bounds til you land, you should have the same timeout power you do while standing on the court. It's a hustle play that should be rewarded!

I also like the coach being charged a timeout on a requested out-of-bounds/possession review that doesn't go his way...should tamp down on those casual "let's take a look" play-stoppages down the stretch.

Being a traditionalist, I disapprove of the 0-99 jersey number change. (Some fans may have been oblivious to the fact that, hitherto, only numbers with 0-5 digits were allowed, e.g., #45 but not #46.)

I breathe a sigh of relief each summer that the men's committee does NOT allow teams to advance the ball to midcourt by calling timeout. I hate that NBA [and NCAA women's] garbage with all my being.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
06-12-23 07:14 PM - Post#356758    

“Hitherto” is simply not used enough in our lexicon.

Not sure I agree with the flying out of bounds timeout call. In every other instance, place on the court signifies “in play.” Possession in play seems correct. I agree it awards hustle.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
Re: Basketball Rule Changes
06-12-23 09:23 PM - Post#356761    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:

--Under two minutes, when a coach requests an out-of-bounds play be reviewed, that team will be charged a timeout if the original call is not overturned.

--Red and amber lights will be allowed on the backboard.

Relative to the first change shown above, opefully they address a similar "scam" used by coaches when they have the ball at the end of a game but no timeouts. It is not uncommon - like the bogus request to review an out-of-bounds play - to claim that a shot they recently made should have been ruled to be a three, or wimilarly that an opponent's three was really a two. The coach knows his assertion is incorrect, but he uses the review time to draw up a play. I saw Paulsen pull that one at least once, and I've seen dozens of other coaches do it as well.

Also one clarification for those who are curious. The purpose of having an amber light on the backboard would be to signify a shot clock violation, just as the red light marks the end of a half or the game.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
Re: Basketball Rule Changes
06-20-23 08:49 PM - Post#356883    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:

--An optional rule will allow for preloaded/live video to be transmitted to the bench area. This has been an experimental rule for the past two years. [I'm baffled by this one]

I think this goes with the rule costing you a timeout if you challenge an out of bounds call. You could take a quick look at a replay to decide if it is worth a challenge. Just a guess.
Ray Bucknell!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.155 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:51 AM